Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Pilot. Had to drive 200 feet or so over continuous rumble strip and AWD, Hill Assist, Anti-lock, Steering Assist and maybe Traction Control yellow lights appeared indicating these features have all been disabled. I think it stays problem with... I turned off the engine and waited a few seconds then started car. All the issues are still there. I am at a family function so won’t get back to the car for several hours. Is there any DIY things I can check? Appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Try the battery disconnect as mentioned. Then if problems persist local auto parts stores offer free scans that might identify an issue.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Jimmy Mac-- when are you coming back? (Martha Reeves and the Vandellas) -+Sorry for the old school ref. Anyway, that is a strange thing, why would your Pilot go crazy after rumble strips? I think that it's the VCM system overreacting to the vibration. VCM tries to smooth out any vibration due to running on 3 cylinders. The rumble strips overwhelmed the ability of VCM to smooth everything out. Result was a total meltdown. Get a disabler--I use S-VCM-- and put the VCM system to sleep.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jimmy Mac-- when are you coming back? Sorry for the old school ref. Anyway, that is a strange thing, why would your Pilot go crazy after rumble strips? I think that it's the VCM system overreacting to the vibration. VCM tries to smooth out any vibration due to running on 3 cylinders. The rumble strips overwhelmed the ability of VCM to smooth everything out. Result was a total meltdown. Get a disabler--I use S-VCM-- and put the VCM system to sleep.
So funny. Shouldn't Honda get rid of VCM then? With issues of fouling, failed active engine mounts, torque converters, fuel injectors and now this? What else? Who knows. Are these all worth the 1-2 mpg savings??? Issues overwhelmingly outweigh the perceived benefits.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Honda will never admit that VCM is a problem, and they will never provide a way to shut it off. VCM is part of the way that Honda meets CAFE standards. If you don't want to have VCM, then you need to install an aftermarket disabling device.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never noticed any issues with engine power/performance when this happened. Assumed something came loose De-attached to wheels like antilock. So you all think
It is VCM.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I never noticed any issues with engine power/performance when this happened. Assumed something came loose De-attached to wheels like antilock. So you all think
It is VCM.
If you’ve been driving with VCM since 2018 you’d be aware of subtle changes during normal everyday driving. This multiple warning light episode is likely something else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you’ve been driving with VCM since 2018 you’d be aware of subtle changes during normal everyday driving. This multiple warning light episode is likely something else.
I’m thinking something came loose attached to one of the wheels. Going get down under and inspect. I was expected someone to mention this initially.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I’m thinking something came loose attached to one of the wheels. Going get down under and inspect. I was expected someone to mention this initially.
It is possible that a sensor came loose due to the vibration. Might be one of the speed sensors on the axles as that would explain ABS, traction control and AWD faults.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after restarting and driving a few minutes all warnings disappeared. Just restarting the car did not help. It had to be driven. I guess driving it made it retest and reset issues. My guess is the jarring caused one of these systems to temporarily disconnect then all the related systems. Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Well, after restarting and driving a few minutes all warnings disappeared. Just restarting the car did not help. It had to be driven. I guess driving it made it retest and reset issues. My guess is the jarring caused one of these systems to temporarily disconnect then all the related systems. Thanks all for the help.
Makes sense. You would have to drive it to get a signal from the speed sensors. Glad everything reset.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
I have an 08SE FWD, and a 15 LX 4WD.
Both have the VCM thing.
Never had ONE problem with it, the engine, the plugs, etc.
We've only had the 15 a few weeks, but I don't think it's an issue for us.
Why don't I have the problems that are so well documented?
I'm not being sarcastic. Maybe I am and just don't know it?

On the 08, the plugs were removed several months ago, all looked great so back in they went- and they were at least 75K old too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Software can be nice or a pain sometimes. On occasion, the warning will come on in my 2012 Pilot that the gas cap is loose. It has never been loose. However, the warning won't go away until the car is driven for a while. My drives are short and sometimes it take a day or two for the warning to go away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts