Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 EX-L

Had a dead battery yesterday. No idea why. Its 4 years old, so yeah I understand its possible its gone bad. Put the charger on it and afterwards started it with no problem, but now the BRAKE, ABS, and traction lights are all stuck on. I have since started the vehicle 10 or so times with no issue, so the battery seems to have held the charge fine.

I’ve heard of alternators causing weird gremlins. The battery charger I used has an “alternator check” function and says the alternator is fine. I also tested it the old school way by pulling off the negative cable while its running. Kept running just fine.

Any ideas? Is it possible the battery really is bad, and could that cause those lights to all come on? Battery light is off. No engine light either. Code reader shows no codes

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well after driving a couple miles, the lights have gone out. All seems well for the moment
I had the same experience on my '16 Pilot. Disconnected the battery for a day to do some electrical work and all sorts of scary dash warnings came on when I started to car up for the first time. Drove it for about 5 miles and everything reset back to a normal dash.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
2013 EX-L

The battery charger I used has an “alternator check” function and says the alternator is fine. I also tested it the old school way by pulling off the negative cable while its running. Kept running just fine.

Any ideas?

The "old school way by by pulling the negative cable off" went out of favor when we stepped up past the DC generator. Modern alternators get to regulate output voltage based on the average of three wire coils 120º out of phase with each other, so depend on having the battery in the circuit to smooth those out-of-phase current flows. Risk is high (15+ Volts) spikes feeding the relatively voltage-sensitive smart modules in the car. So best not to disconnect the battery while the engine is running.

Glad your problem was solved!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,849 Posts
These days replacing the battery or just unhooking the battery is the equivalent to Control/Alt/Delete for your vehicles computer. It takes a little time for things to reset.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
These days replacing the battery or just unhooking the battery is the equivalent to Control/Alt/Delete for your vehicles computer. It takes a little time for things to reset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts