Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So currently driving a 2011 Honda Pilot just finished doing tons of maintenance and upgrades.

Enjoyed the great weather and did all the work myself anyone knows how much it would have cost to have a mechanic do the job please let me know how much I was able to save by doing the work myself.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
So currently driving a 2011 Honda Pilot just finished doing tons of maintenance and upgrades.

Enjoyed the great weather and did all the work myself anyone knows how much it would have cost to have a mechanic do the job please let me know how much I was able to save by doing the work myself.
Curious how Lucas will perform in the transfer case.
We won't talk about ATF. :p
Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious how Lucas will perform in the transfer case.
We won't talk about ATF. :p
Please let us know how it goes.
Well the Lucas was the only product I found with the exact viscosity in the manual. And it was rated with all the specs.
I tried to keep everything as OE as possible. 100k highly doubt previous owners changed anyone those fluids besides the oil. Had the water pump and timing belt done at 95k.
Had my fun doing all the work I can only imagine what the price tag would be on labor alone.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Well the Lucas was the only product I found with the exact viscosity in the manual. And it was rated with all the specs.
I tried to keep everything as OE as possible. 100k highly doubt previous owners changed anyone those fluids besides the oil. Had the water pump and timing belt done at 95k.
Had my fun doing all the work I can only imagine what the price tag would be on labor alone.
There have been plenty of Honda owners that have successfully used aftermarket ATF. I don't know of anyone who has tried an aftermarket transfer case fluid successfully. It's an electronically controlled system that I hear can be quite finicky. I'm sure that many on the forum will like to know how it goes.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There have been plenty of Honda owners that have successfully used aftermarket ATF. I don't know of anyone who has tried an aftermarket transfer case fluid successfully. It's an electronically controlled system that I hear can be quite finicky. I'm sure that many on the forum will like to know how it goes.
Well I couldn't actually find the "HONDA GENUINE fluid" for the transfer case. I have seen plenty of people using Valvoline transfer case fluid. I found one that was labeled "Honda Marine" gear oil even with the same exact specs but never found the Automotive version so I decided to use Lucas.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Will be looking forward to hearing the results. Hopefully it works well.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I used Mobil 1 in the transfer case. The manual calls for 80w90 which is really hard to find so I used the available everywhere 75w90. Never had any problems making this substitution since most vehicles I have owned do the same thing.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
It's rear differential fluid (VTM-4 fluid) that cannot be substituted. You can use anything for the transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
It's rear differential fluid (VTM-4 fluid) that cannot be substituted. You can use anything for the transfer case fluid.
Well that's a little confusing. I was always under the impression that gear lube goes in the deferential, the rear gear box.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Well that's a little confusing. I was always under the impression that gear lube goes in the deferential, the rear gear box.
View attachment 147846
Seeing how your Pilot is FWD, makes sense you may not know this. Honda's VTM-4 system requires use of their special fluid, which I believe someone found one substitute that claims to be compatible but nobody was willing to take a risk on. The iVTM-4 system on the 3rd gen uses Dual Pump II fluid like the Acuras with SH-AWD have been using for years. The Realtime AWD system on the CR-V and other lesser AWD equipped models uses standard gear oil.

A more sophisticated rear diff requires more sophisticated fluid I suppose.

Reactions: nycivz

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Seeing how your Pilot is FWD, makes sense you may not know this. Honda's VTM-4 system requires use of their special fluid, which I believe someone found one substitute that claims to be compatible but nobody was willing to take a risk on. The iVTM-4 system on the 3rd gen uses Dual Pump II fluid like the Acuras with SH-AWD have been using for years. The Realtime AWD system on the CR-V and other lesser AWD equipped models uses standard gear oil.

A more sophisticated rear diff requires more sophisticated fluid I suppose.
I own an AWD BMW X5. The 75w90 gear lube can be any brand, so long as its GL5 rated. This gear lube goes in the differential gear box located in the center of the rear axle. Are you saying Honda is different? My transfer case with a very specific BMW fluid is located up near the engine.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I own an AWD BMW X5. The 75w90 gear lube can be any brand, so long as its GL5 rated. This gear lube goes in the differential gear box located in the center of the rear axle. Are you saying Honda is different? My transfer case with a very specific BMW fluid is located up near the engine.
Essentially it is the complete opposite for Pilots. Only VTM-4 fluid in the rear differential and any ol' gear lube in the transfer case. Or at least that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Essentially it is the complete opposite for Pilots. Only VTM-4 fluid in the rear differential and any ol' gear lube in the transfer case. Or at least that's how I understand it.
If this is true, it's a good thing I never serviced an AWD Honda.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Your BMW's trickery happens at the transfer case while Hondas happens at the diff.

YES!

If this is true, it's a good thing I never serviced an AWD Honda.
Meh, given what I understand about you the correct fluid would have been purchased or you would have come on looking for an alternate that is suitable rather than just subbing in a fluid.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Meh, given what I understand about you the correct fluid would have been purchased or you would have come on looking for an alternate that is suitable rather than just subbing in a fluid.
There are a few who sub the ATF with Liqui Molly. This was what was needed to do a transmission service on my vehicle recently. Add another $70 to do the Dif and TC with genuine fluids.

There is one guy on YouTube using Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Lol

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There are a few who sub the ATF with Liqui Molly. This was what was needed to do a transmission service on my vehicle recently. Add another $70 to do the Dif and TC with genuine fluids.
View attachment 147852
There is one guy on YouTube using Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Lol
$265+$70 every year or 2 is worth it to keep a very expensive component of your vehicle running. That’s why the $1k timing belt job doesn’t upset me.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
$265+$70 every year or 2 is worth it to keep a very expensive component of your vehicle running. That’s why the $1k timing belt job doesn’t upset me.
Every Pilot or Honda V6 owner should feel the same way about the big one

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used Mobil 1 in the transfer case. The manual calls for 80w90 which is really hard to find so I used the available everywhere 75w90. Never had any problems making this substitution since most vehicles I have owned do the same thing.
Yea I know what you mean I spent a while looking for the exact viscosity with the "Transfer Assembly Fuild SAE90 or SAE 80W-90 viscosity hypoid gear oil, API service classified GL4 or GL5 only." I found one that was Amsoil that probably would have been better to use but I couldn't find it anywhere except their website plus shipping. Then I found the Lucas and it had the same specs the manual specified.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,839 Posts
Every Pilot or Honda V6 owner should feel the same way about the big one
It seems many opt to part with the vehicle when they are surprised with this four figure expense. All the better for those who are looking for a 100k mile vehicle, assuming they have done their homework and negotiate this maintenance into the vehicle purchase.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It seems many opt to part with the vehicle when they are surprised with this four figure expense. All the better for those who are looking for a 100k mile vehicle, assuming they have done their homework and negotiate this maintenance into the vehicle purchase.
It’s funny because I don’t even find the cost to be that high. It surprises me that people balk at $800 for tires or $1,000 for a timing belt. It’s just part of owning a car. I guess that’s why leasing is so attractive to a lot of people.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts