Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I’ve been dealing with the annual issue of losing hot air to my 2007 Pilot’s front compartment vents until I tighten the screw on top of the heater valve, maybe a quarter turn. This always fixes the problem until the following winter. Hot air to the rear compartment always worked. After 10 years of doing this, the screw rusted and no longer moved. I had a mechanic look into it, who replaced the valve but now it’s only lukewarm. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
Did your mechanic purge air from the system after replacing the valve? Perhaps there is air trapped in the heater core.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Also have you verified the valve turns when you adjust the heat controls?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also have you verified the valve turns when you adjust the heat controls?
I’m detecting movement on the valve when controls are adjusted. I’ve also tried loosening the screw on top over the valve, turning the knob cold, then retightening. No effect. Though no idea if this would have any effect to begin with.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,298 Posts
If the part was good (where was it sourced?), then...

Ask the mech to fix it again.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Long time since we've had this reported.
Look at this thread and the one linked in it:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I’m detecting movement on the valve when controls are adjusted. I’ve also tried loosening the screw on top over the valve, turning the knob cold, then retightening. No effect. Though no idea if this would have any effect to begin with.
I would think that if you loosened the screw that you’d also want to ensure the valve is in the fully closed position, when heat controls set to cold, before retightening the screw.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,298 Posts
Indeed, whether you install it or adjust it, test it to make sure you start it off in the correct position, then make sure it moves accordingly.

As I was routinely checking fluids, and added a little -45 windshield washer fluid, I looked for the Phillips screw on the heater control valve we often tell people to tighten, finally giving them heat whereas several have been quoted a heater core job for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars by their dealers. Although it's tricky to find, it so often fixes the problem.

No heat in front console

Well, my screw wasn't loose, it was gone! Not there. Vanished. AWOL.

I was still getting pretty good heat, because the valve seemed to have been left in the on position, but I do recall last summer, in spite of having gotten an A/C service my air conditioning was pretty good, but I felt it could have been better, so matbe it was fighting against some heat still coming in, sort of like the (silly and wasteful) prank of having a heater vs. air conditioner war in a college dorm room.

So I started to dig around my collection of screws to find one that might fit using a combination of WAG and eyballing, since I didn't have the original screw to compare to. After a few choice words when dropping a few into the bowels of the engine bay, I managed to get one that seems to fit the "goodenuff" spec. I gave the assembly a good shot of silicone lubricant spray for good measure, and after a few cycles of high - low - med, repeat, and a quick drive, it seemed to be in good working order.

I'd still be very curious to know what the exact OEM specs for that screw are: length, diameter and thread pitch.

I also noticed that the picture posted above is almost correct, but not quite, for a Pilot, as it's originally from an Acura forum. On our Hondas, the control cable comes in from the right at an angle, and the valve arm moved back and forth on the right side of the valve (facing it, as in the picture). It's hard to see that damn screw, as it's blocked by a hose. I had to do it by feel, mostly, hence the dropped screws on my first attempts. On a Pilot, it looks more like this (low res) picture:

View attachment 144143

View attachment 144144

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long time since we've had this reported.
Look at this thread and the one linked in it:
That’s the thread that originally allowed me to fix my problem. I have a new control valve and no amount of tightening will solve the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would think that if you loosened the screw that you’d also want to ensure the valve is in the fully closed position, when heat controls set to cold, before retightening the screw.
Yeah not sure. I’ve been fiddling with it for some time now. I’ll report back with results when fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts