Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Honda Pilot Elite and I am wondering how to successfully stream YouTube or another streaming service to my rear entertainment system for my kids. Note: I also would like to set up my phone as the vehicle hotspot, but I am also having trouble finding suggestions on how to complete this as well. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
In my 2013 Pilot Touring it had the older RCA jacks. That did allow for us to hook up a device (iPad) to it with no issues.

Don't know if this will help:
2018 Honda Odyssey with RES.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Can't you get an Apple TV or a Google Chromecast and plug it into the HDMI and power outlet?

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)
44 Posts
Thank you Daltongang. I have the adapter for lightening and HDMI, when I tried it says this device is not supported on their screen.
Hi, where you able to solve this? Maybe the Lightning HDMI adaptor has to be an OEM Apple one?

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Touring 7P
2 Posts
I have successfully deployed a Mi Box S (Android TV) using the HDMI input and the outlet. I create a wi-fi hot spot with my phone and the box automatically connects and I have unobtrusive access to anything and everything from Netflix to Disney+ to YouTube, even my Plex server. The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is how to isolate the audio zone to "rear only" when using the HDMI input. I can isolate to rear only just fine while using Blu-Ray, but not HDMI for some reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used a Roku device with my iphone hotspot and it worked reasonably well for longer trips (the following issue explains why it would be a pain for everyday use). There is a major issue in that the display has a green tint everytime the car is started using the Roku. You need to go into the display settings on the Roku and switch to 720p then back to 1080p to make it work correctly. Luckily my kids are old enough to know how to do this themselves. I think it has something to do with the resolution of the built-in screen on the Pilot being something between 1080 and 720. I would be curious to know if people have the same issue with an Amazon fire stick.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
What is the second “this” for the IPhone? The link doesn’t load for me.
thank you
Short HDMI cable with proper plug in for the entertainment system.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Has anybody figured out how to watch downloaded Amazon prime movies on the RES? I brought my Apple TV and I tried streaming a downloaded movie from my phone to it and it said I can't AirPlay downloaded movies. Probably because of piracy. Is there any other way I can do that?

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
There is but it would require you to purchase a DVD or Blueray of the movie(s) you want to stream as well as purchasing ripping software that would allow you to then rip the movies you own for personal use. Rip them to the resolution you choose. It doesn't have to be UHD since the screen is so small.

Once they are ripped transfer them to the phone and you are good to go. I

f I had a vehicle with the rear entertainment system I would use something like this. My Passport Wireless Pro | Western Digital Store Wireless connection to an iPhone, Android phone or tablet hooked into he entertainment system.

I have an older version I use when we travel. Great for watching on an iPad or iPads, laptops etc. Up to 8 people can connect to the wifi on my older generation. Not sure how many connections this would allow. Not having the current entertainment system I don't know if you could do a direct wifi connection to it or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Short HDMI cable with proper plug in for the entertainment system.
Can you repost the link? I can get it to hook up and show me the screen iPad and IPhone. I can see it on the display, but as I go to play something, downloaded or streaming it freezes. Any advice for me?

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
The link for the Android is the same type cable as was posted for the iPhone in my earlier post. Just a different brand.

Are these movies you are trying to stream movies that have been download such as ys1219 is trying to play?

Has anybody figured out how to watch downloaded Amazon prime movies on the RES? I brought my Apple TV and I tried streaming a downloaded movie from my phone to it and it said I can't AirPlay downloaded movies. Probably because of piracy. Is there any other way I can do that?
If so that is the problem. Protected movies will not stream or airplay. You have to have non protected movies.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've read that you can watch downloaded prime movies with an HDMI adapter. Can anybody check to see if this is true?

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
The protection/piracy issue is the same reasoning that Honda and the other auto makers do not offer cd ripping to hard drives in their vehicles any longer. If one of the features an auto maker provides is the ability to rip a cd to a auto maker installed hard drive, they are directly involved in media piracy.

If on the other hand they do what is now done and include a storage device that you can transfer files YOU rip and put on a Usb drive, then they are not involved in the ripping of the media aspect.

This is not a discussion about is ripping music from CD's you own piracy or not. It is the reasoning for auto makers not providing the capabilities they did in the 2nd Gen Pilots and other vehicles. I am sure that there has been more than one owner of a vehicle that had CD ripping capabilities that borrowed a CD or CD's from a friend to add to their music collection in their vehicle.

The music industry would not be interested in that small vehicle owner. BUT a corporation like Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes etc. They are big fish that they could sue for very big money.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite
1 Posts
What is the second “this” for the IPhone? The link doesn’t load for me.
thank you
I have the lighting to HDMI adapter (3rd party) and a 3 ft HDMI and my iPad will not display anything on screen. Did you ever figure it out? Are you using the OEM Apple adapter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to get Chromecast to work on my recently purchased 2016 Honda Pilot Touring (47k miles) to work and use it for YouTube - I haven't tried Netflix or Prime yet but I would imagine they should work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts