Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting a dash cam. Don't know much about brands etc and was wondering if any Piloteers can recommend a good one with decent resolution etc? Maybe one that is "hidden" or has an OEM look to it. I saw this recent video from an accident and can definitely see the benefits of installing one. In the case if I was ever involved in one etc.

YouTube

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
Exactly what would be the benefit in this situation? I agree they are useful but I don't see how the footage would have helped anyone in this situation. The driver of the SUV is clearly at fault and the police would have easily piece together what happened. Again, I'm not saying dash cams are not useful just curious your view of the situation.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess suppose that driver hit the person with the dash cam. For insurance purposes, police reports, etc say there was no dash cam. It could be a finger pointing case, especially when accidents like this happen in seconds and everyone gets tunnel vision when the adrenaline kicks in and you're trying to avoid said accident

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have front and rear in both my cars. Put on in my mothers and grandfathers also.
I have the think ware F800 PRO in my two. higher end of the spectrum price wise but blend in nicely.

Blackvue is another brand I would consider and they have a 4k camera. Now sure how much better. Check out blackboxmycar.com good info on there. Don’t have to get the most expensive but I tried the cheap ones and well you get what you pay for! I got a good deal on the F800 pro on amazon.

Ill post a pic if you wanna see what it looks like installed just let me know.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes please post some pics. Curious to see your setup and how the power supply is integrated in your Pilot. Cigarette lighter vs fuse box etc

I have front and rear in both my cars. Put on in my mothers and grandfathers also.
I have the think ware F800 PRO in my two. higher end of the spectrum price wise but blend in nicely.

Blackvue is another brand I would consider and they have a 4k camera. Now sure how much better. Check out blackboxmycar.com good info on there. Don’t have to get the most expensive but I tried the cheap ones and well you get what you pay for! I got a good deal on the F800 pro on amazon.

Ill post a pic if you wanna see what it looks like installed just let me know.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh ok, gotcha. I've thought about one just to review the stupid things people do daily lol. Once they get really cheap I'll probably get one just for kicks.
I guess suppose that driver hit the person with the dash cam. For insurance purposes, police reports, etc say there was no dash cam. It could be a finger pointing case, especially when accidents like this happen in seconds and everyone gets tunnel vision when the adrenaline kicks in and you're trying to avoid said accident

·
Registered
403 Posts
i think these days dash cams are useful just to show you aren't to blame and to show who really is at fault. everyone is quick to sue these days so its definitely a must to protect yourself.

and on several occasions it also gets crazy footage like the one OP posts and also funny stuff of dumb drivers

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes please post some pics. Curious to see your setup and how the power supply is integrated in your Pilot. Cigarette lighter vs fuse box etc

I will post by tomorrow.

Oh ok, gotcha. I've thought about one just to review the stupid things people do daily lol. Once they get really cheap I'll probably get one just for kicks.

I wouldn’t expect a good one to get cheap anytime soon, If anything they are getting more expensive. There are cheaper ones out there that are good and some that art so good. Mine was around $400 or little over altogether. Front camera, Rear camera, Hardwire kit and larger memory card.

Of course the dash cam can also show YOU are at fault.....
Still good to have either way IMO!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm fully in support, been wanting to get one for each of my vehicles as well... the one I most want to get it for is my classic Impala, people tend to drive much crazier around that because they don't want to get behind a slow car...

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sorry for the delay. The posted link to someone else install of the same camera as mine covers the fuse box install bedsides different locations for the taps. My install went a little different and I will admit my parking mode hasn’t worked yet but haven’t messed around with it yet to see what the deal is.

Anyway...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts