Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone actually tried to turn a 2016-2019 Honda Pilot ex-l into a black edition exterior wise? I currently have a black 17 ex-l and I’d love to do the upgrades from wheels to window trim, rear emblems... the front grill is where I’m questioning as idk if it’s a direct replacement?

But if anyone has done this or thought about it I would be very interested in your experiences.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone actually tried to turn a 2016-2019 Honda Pilot ex-l into a black edition exterior wise? I currently have a black 17 ex-l and I’d love to do the upgrades from wheels to window trim, rear emblems... the front grill is where I’m questioning as idk if it’s a direct replacement?

But if anyone has done this or thought about it I would be very interested in your experiences.
Thank you

From what I've read, its interchangeable. Just remove your old front end and headlights and bolt on the new. Do you have a budget? You could sell your old front end parts and recover a lot of your money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, its interchangeable. Just remove your old front end and headlights and bolt on the new. Do you have a budget? You could sell your old front end parts and recover a lot of your money.
Is it the front headlights and grill and front bumper? Or just grille and headlights?

I’m not sure what everything costs. But I do know if I do this it’s gotta be oem everything.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Is it the front headlights and grill and front bumper? Or just grille and headlights?

I’m not sure what everything costs. But I do know if I do this it’s gotta be oem everything.
Since I've read that the headlights are interchangeable then I'd expect the grille (2 piece) to fit without a bumper change. Don't hold me to this.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Check out the cost for OEM replacement parts from any Honda online parts website. This will put some perspective in your project and budget. I don't want to discourage any project but this should be considered. One trick to make some parts "black" is look at some Plastic Dip products that can give instant satisfaction with the ability to change your mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the cost for OEM replacement parts from any Honda online parts website. This will put some perspective in your project and budget. I don't want to discourage any project but this should be considered. One trick to make some parts "black" is look at some Plastic Dip products that can give instant satisfaction with the ability to change your mind.
Do you recommend a certain Honda website?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Do you recommend a certain Honda website?
When I shop for OEM parts, I usually price check several Honda parts websites. Any Honda website can provide you with part numbers. I then enter the part number into a search engine to find the best price. The last couple of times I ordered parts and was willing to wait because of the price, www.oempartsource.com has come out on top. Keep in mind the shipping charges. One may win in price but get you on shipping. Your local dealership may be higher in price, but there is no shipping charge. They sometimes win when it's a large bulky item.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
277 Posts
When I shop for OEM parts, I usually price check several Honda parts websites. Any Honda website can provide you with part numbers. I then enter the part number into a search engine to find the best price. The last couple of times I ordered parts and was willing to wait because of the price, www.oempartsource.com has come out on top. Keep in mind the shipping charges. One may win in price but get you on shipping. Your local dealership may be higher in price, but there is no shipping charge. They sometimes win when it's a large bulky item.
I agree. Majestic Honda is great for smaller items but shipping can get you in the longer run. For larger/heavier items I like Bernardi Honda as they offer free shipping on orders over $100, but prices are a little higher than Majestic and still significantly better than from the local dealer when you factor tax into the equation. Only thing Bernardi wouldn't ship in my experience was Radiator Fluid (for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
175 Posts
The BE trim didn’t appear on the Pilot until the 2020 model year. The BE has the jewel LED headlights that won’t be compatible with your 2017EX-L. The 2019 MY refresh changed the bumper and grill. Not sure if a 2020 grill will work on a pre- refresh 2017.

·
Administrator
15,578 Posts
Have you considered getting everything wrapped?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Here's a wheel option other than spending $2,000+ for the OEM-finish black wheels. These appear to be powder coated so you'd have to be really careful not to curb rash them and induce further chipping but for the money, it's the best way to go I've found. That core-exchange option is assuming you have the same 20" in machined grey they accept as exchange for these.

Black PVD would be the best choice, imo. More info from Detroit:
The black chrome exchange is $695.00, $100 more than the gloss black exchange.
Wheels traded in with minor curb damage incur a $35 per wheel repair fee that is deducted from the core deposit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts