Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!! I want to add the rear bumper trim to my 2016 Elite. We trimmed it out when we got it, but I was told that the rear bumper trim couldn’t be installed with a factory Honda that was installed. Is this true? Has anyone done it? I saw this pic in an old post on here and it looks like he has a factory hitch with the bumper trim. ??‍♀ Can anyone help me figure this out? Where I can go to do this?

Here is a pic of my ride...

·
Registered
243 Posts
That first picture does not appear to be the factory Honda hitch. It has the Honda receiver cover, but it is sitting too low & the location of the safety chain attach points are not the same. Not sure what you mean by "trimmed it out". Did you cut the lower bumper trim to accomodate the hitch & now you want the OEM hitch cover. If that is the case, the hitch cover is available from a Honda dealer as a seperate item(I've seen other posts on this forum where members have purchased it). If you purchased the OEM hitch, it should have come with the hitch cover that has the cut out for the receiver. Here's a pic of mine"

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Aviator6! Thanks for your reply! No. I just meant that we trimmed out the car with all available external trim parts available. ?

We found our elite through a broker (there were none that we wanted on dealer lotswho found it at auction. Once he had it transported back to TX, they installed all the OEM trim, including the hitch. Once they put the hitch on he discovered that they couldn’t install the rear bumper trim.

So is there a way for me to get a rear bumper trim piece on there (maybe not even an OEM piece?) to finish it out? Has anyone done this? TIA! #hopeful

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi, Aviator6! Thanks for your reply! No. I just meant that we trimmed out the car with all available external trim parts available. ?

We found our elite through a broker (there were none that we wanted on dealer lotswho found it at auction. Once he had it transported back to TX, they installed all the OEM trim, including the hitch. Once they put the hitch on he discovered that they couldn’t install the rear bumper trim.

So is there a way for me to get a rear bumper trim piece on there (maybe not even an OEM piece?) to finish it out? Has anyone done this? TIA! #hopeful
I suspect that there is difference in years of the 3rd gen Pilots, for the hitch cover, but the hitch is the same for all of the 3rd gen. There were some minor changes for the 2019+ years - back up lights were moved, so rear bumper pieces most likely changed. You need to check with a Honda dealer to see if there is a different part number for the 2016 Pilot vs other years. I'm guessing that your broker purchased an OEM Honda hitch for a year other than your 2016.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you check on Collegehills Honda you can download the installation instructions for the hitch and trim for the 16-18, or the 19-20. As stated the bumpers and trims are different, the hitch receiver bolt up portion is the same. The trim panel is a couple screws/bolts/clips from what I remember installing mine and then a cutout for the factory 7 pin connector. I did factory hitch and wiring.

The first picture as mentioned is not factory, just has the Honda plug/cover. If he ordered wrong the 16-17 trim is available separate, dealer would have part#, installer should pay for correct part.

16-18 trailer hitch with instructions links

The also have more external trim parts you can add from door edge protectors, lighted running boards, window visors (recommended), and not seen but the tranny cooler to help Texas heat tranny temperatures (get the correct one).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts