Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question Two:

I’m a new pilot owner (as of yesterday) and have three quick questions that I hope somebody here might have an answer for.

I’d like to remove the second row right seat on my ’04 Pilot. I slid the seat fore and aft looking for bolt heads, and pried up trim to peek, but didn’t see any familiar hex or Torx headed thing to twist. Is there a trick? Is there some fastener I don’t know enough about to recognize? Anybody have a manual with a drawing of how this goes together? The dealer doesn’t want to know about this, probably for liability reasons.

I’m sure the seat WILL come out, but I’d like to avoid excess wear and tear on my brain re-inventing the wheel, and ancillary damage to my Pilot experimenting.

(Why do I want to do such a crackpot thing? Fair enough question. My wife has a Seeing Eye Dog, and obviously it rides in the car every bit as often as she does. In that case it makes sense that the dog has a dedicated spot in the car. Previously, when owning mini-vans, we always opted for “quad seating” and simply left one seat in the garage – a fairly trivial trick.)

--scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay,

Thanks much for the link, it’s a done deal already.

It was as simple as I could have liked, four hex head bolts. They were just a little farther afield than I first supposed, and some plastic trim that I thought was one piece turned out to be two.

(There’s a little heat register under that seat, but I think I’ll make up a framed “nest” for the beast over the register and not bother ripping out a mile of upholstery to deal with that.)

Thanks a bunch.

--scott

ps. them chairs iz surprisingly heavy.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Sounds like an interesting modification. Please post a pic when you're done. What kind of dog does your wife have?

BTW, why this mod rather than either the dog in the rear cargo area w/sep net or a harness-type seatbelt (www.ruffrider.com for example)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr Worm,

I’ll post a pix when I’ve made a bed that’s held in place. Right now, with no seat, it’d just be a picture of nothing!

The reason to do it this way is twofold: 1) The current dog is an extremely petite female yellow lab, and the leap all the way to the seat surface is a bit much for her liking. Besides, a dog on your seats that often is tough on seats. So a bed at floor level is a good thing.

2) Putting the dog in the rear has several problems. While it’s typical for pets, it’s awkward when I’m dropping off my wife if she has to work her way to the rear of the vehicle, get into the street which is often slushy in these parts, on the wrong side of a snowbank, &c. Too awkward. Also, folks rarely combine a trip with their pets with a trip to the grocery store. Seeing Eye Dogs are DOGS, after all, you’d be braver than me to stick it and your groceries into the same space.

--scott

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
That all makes perfect sense...thanks for the explanation. I'll be interested in seeing your modification and am glad jay's link was helpful.

We have a Golden and you're right...we would not put her and food in close proximity :D Though I must admit she's great for cleaning up after our daughter (3 y.o.)!

Be sure and post pics of the pooch, too, for the animal lovers on the board (I think there might even be a pet/animal thread somewhere).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(I had hoped to make this one post with image links, but the server hosting my web pages is broken and I can’t make any images available to link to. So, please put up with a string of posts...)

I’m sure you guys thought I’d picked your brains and then ran off. Actually, the Mrs is spending a year on a work detail for the feds in Baltimore, and she was gone when I picked up the Pilot, she only just now had a trip home so that I could evaluate my beast nest mockup. Truth be told, I think it worked pretty well.

This is the floor of the Pilot with the right side second row seat removed.

You can see the heat register that had to be bridged. Also note that the two places where the seat rails sit are at different levels. The outside support therefore had to be about 2 cm taller.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, here’s what you all tuned in for, dog pictures. Now you can see the rationale behind the barrier I included; the dog’s tack has a lot of metal bits that would be chewing up the side of the remaining seat otherwise. It also helped keep her from charging in between the rows of seats and getting to the left side and finding herself unable to turn around gracefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I imagine many of us have the third row folded more often than not; with an old rug over the folded seat, she thinks that’s a great pillow. (I had to put a box in the back for a day or two to help her avoid the temptation to go exploring back there, but she’s got the program already.)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Mrs is off again, so I’ve got time to think about finishing the contraption, but it worked out pretty well. It’s appropriately sized, it’s a comfortable jump in, and if we need seating for seven it’s no impediment to accessing the rear seat.

Thanks to those who responded to my original query, and while I doubt anyone else will need to reproduce these efforts, I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

--scott

·
Registered
365 Posts
That looks great! Nice job. Nice to see each member of the family can have their own seat in the Pilot.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
very nicely done:claphead:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Blue04 said:
Actually, the Mrs is spending a year on a work detail for the feds in Baltimore, and she was gone when I picked up the Pilot, she only just now had a trip home so that I could evaluate my beast nest mockup.
I have to admit that when I first read this, I thought you meant your wife had taken the Pilot to Baltimore. :eek: :bonk: Looks like a great setup!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Great job! Thanks for the followup pictures.:p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very smart set up you have there, Scott. And you're right, the access to the rear seat, if needed, is still there. On the ball.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your wife's dog is beautiful! What's her name?

Red Lindy

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is a a really neat setup...Great job!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts