698 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Even in the shadows, she is shiny. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even with DUST on her from the dirt roads, she is STILL reflective.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice, copperpoppy. I must say that the gold trim was made for the sandstone.

So I'm curious, whatcha got going on there as far as products?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
casdas said:
So I'm curious, whatcha got going on there as far as products?
I have three coats of Meguiar's on her.

The first coat is Gold Class Clear Coat Wax

The second coat is the Deep Cleaning System Polish #2

The third coat is the Deep Cleaning System Carnauba Wax #3

Plus, I have Rain-X on the windows.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. - a lesson learned

Ya know ... I learned something from waxing my car and doing the Rain-X.

Let me lay the groundwork first before I explain what I learned. Indulge me, if you will.

My father was a wise man. No, not the kind who brought spices to the baby Jesus - he was a man of great knowledge, of the common sense variety.

I am not like him. I admire him, but, I fail to display the same wisdoms.

For example, at the vending machine - inevitably I buy my bag of chips. THEN, I buy my coke. I try to remember to reverse that process but, I forget. True to form, I wind up washing down the smashed up potato chip dust and crumbs with the Coke. Word to the wise: Buy the Coke THEN the potato chips. But, I digress...

So ... I put THREE coats of wax/polish on my car.

As you've heard me gripe in other threads, I'm rather short. I completed the task of washing and waxing, and then put the Rain-X on the windows. By the time I got to the windshield though, I knew I was in trouble.

I can't reach it.

SO ... dragging the ladder over, I climbed up on it and felt ever so empowered that I could touch the window. Pleased with my success and trying to stretch my arms to the middle part of the window, I rested my leg on the hood of the smooth-as-glass Pilot.

OUCH-A-MUNGO!!!

I haven't done "the splits" in 20 years.

:awais: :1zhelp:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like Meguiars. I put a coat of #26 paste on Havasu Blue #953 today.

If I may point something out. When you polished with Deep Crystal 2 after using the Gold Class wax, you more than likely removed most of the wax. Polishes use a very mild abrasive action to generate a shiny surface on your paint, so when you were rubbing it on, you were rubbing off the Gold Class at the same time.

That's why polish is step 2, and waxing is step 3, in the Deep Crystal system.

Also, something I have learned. Eagle One 20-20 glass cleaner will give you the "Rain-X effect", or about 90% of it, if you keep your glass cleaned with it on a regular and semi-frequent basis (every 2 weeks or less). By "Rain-X effect", I mean allowing the water to bead and blow off your windshield. I have used plenty of Rain-X over the years and I like what it does, but for the time and effort saved I'll just keep cleaning with the 20-20.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As once said in a previous post, bling bling!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Bein' treated like a true DD she is! :6:
Beautiful! :29:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
casdas said:
When you polished with Deep Crystal 2 after using the Gold Class wax, you more than likely removed most of the wax.
Yeah, I know. I didn't like just the one coat though. It wasn't shiny enough. I knew I needed more...

The Meguiar's website recommended that I use the Deep Cleaning System Polish #2 and the Deep Cleaning System Carnauba Wax #3 based on weather and climate conditions here, so I did.

(P.S. - the flies really seem to like the Carnauba Wax. Outta nowhere they showed up and just landed all over the car. It was strange. Anyone else notice that?)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sage said:
Bein' treated like a true DD she is! :6:
Beautiful! :29:
Thanks Sage.

Ya know, it was really kind of fun. Sure beats housework. You can't get anything in the house THIS shiny.

·
Registered
78 Posts
looks good copperpoppy. I'm going to try this ZAINO stuff and see what it does. Now if I only had a digital camera...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Choctaw said:
looks good copperpoppy. I'm going to try this ZAINO stuff and see what it does. Now if I only had a digital camera...
Oh geez - no camera! You GOTTA get pictures Choctaw. Get one of those disposable things and have them process them in digital form at Wal-Mart or something.

I am curious how this ZAINO stuff works. Let me know how it goes, ok? Everyone is raving about it. I was quite happy with the Meguiar's but I am going to get that S100 stuff at the Harley-Davidson place and try that too. Couldn't hurt, right?

I'm going to put another coat or two as soon as time permits. Got such a busy schedule for the next month I won't be doing too much with the Pilot. :(

Wish it would rain here. I want to see the water bead up on the Pilot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Zaino does a great job of shining up your vehicle and it stays a long time. It is a bit time intensive though.

I recently tried out Poorboys Polish. It's a fast and easy one-step polish and protectant. The shine is incredible. Believe it or not, I actually cleaned up my vehicles using only the "Spray & Wash" waterless wash and detailer. I cleaned and polished out Expedition in just under 2 hours this past weekend. It would normally take me about 1.5 hours just to wash and dry. I have spoken and traded many e-mails with the owner, Steve. He has been very helpful. If you contact him, please let him know that Gary in Houston sent you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question for my fellow Texan

What exactly did you buy from Poorboy? I know you bought the wax and the Spray and wipe.

Did you buy the Carnuba Wax and did you also get Natural Look or any of the cloths or mits?

I will probably order this stuff but wanted to see what you settled on.

Thanks
Steven

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased the following:

Polish w/ 100% Carnuba
Spray & Wipe
Bird Sh#t Remover
Natural Look
Micro-cloths 16"x16" (also 16"x36" which are not on the website, just ask for them in you order)
Micro-mitts

I use the large micro-cloths for cleaning with the Spray & Wipe. The small ones for polish removal. Micro-mitts for keeping the interior clean.

Please mention that Gary in Houston sent you. I don't get anything, just want to let him know I'm spreading the word.

·
Registered
494 Posts
looks good copperpoppy,

I'm 5'9" and I still have to use a step stool to reach the center of the windshield. It must have been something to see you do the splits. Ouch!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts