Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh....Went to the dealer under the understanding that a discount would be offered.....and you can guess how that went.

They actually seemed shocked that I would walk away.....I wonder if I'll get a call tomorrow.

What bugs me is that I brought a copy of the e-mail stating that a discount would be given and they just shrugged when I read it to them. Man.....

The real deal breaker was the trafe-in.....not even 1/2 of what it should have been......

Oh well, there goes my Sage EX-L........

I'll just wait until I can sell my trade privately.

Yours,
Pilotless

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You'll get a call tomorrow. Be prepared. I walked away twice.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Ugh....Went to the dealer under the understanding that a discount would be offered.....and you can guess how that went.

They actually seemed shocked that I would walk away.....I wonder if I'll get a call tomorrow.

What bugs me is that I brought a copy of the e-mail stating that a discount would be given and they just shrugged when I read it to them. Man.....

The real deal breaker was the trafe-in.....not even 1/2 of what it should have been......

Oh well, there goes my Sage EX-L........

I'll just wait until I can sell my trade privately.

Yours,
Pilotless
you will get a call tomorrow....but dont depend on a good price for your trade in. Might be better to see yourself.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Talking trade in is the dealership's last chance to make money, on an internet price quote. Just when you think that all the unsavory aspects of car purchase have been left behind as you have a sale price offer in hand, they try to pad their profits through the trade in.

I agree with ramirami, if you don't mind the hassles associated with selling your used car, you are much better off trying to close the sale of your current car before buying the pilot, although you run the risk that the color / model you want to buy isn't in stock at the lowest priced dealership at the time you are ready to buy. This might justify accepting the dealership's trade in offer, IMHO.

Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's always better to sell a car yourself than trade it in, although it does take more effort. You'd probably sell a car for about double a trade in value. Always work out the sales price of a new car BEFORE mentioning a trade.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys.....

I do kind of expect a call today......and hope for one, actually.

I''m not so concerned with the trade value, as long as the MSRP can come down sufficient enough to make the deal sweeter.....

I really don't want the hassle of selling the Jeep privately - but I will if I have to.

In case you were curious, they did make a discount just as they began to process my $100 refund.....a whopping $300. I look at the guy sadly and told him that a sub 1% discount wasn't the level of discount I was expecting.

We shall seee. I'll post an update if something should happen.

Thanks for convincing me that a wait and see policy is the best one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
idloveaguiness: Keep looking if they are only offering a deal like that. When I looked at the dealers right around me, that was the response I was getting. I widened my net and ended up about $3000 off msrp, and very close to invoice. Don't despair. There is a Pilot at a fair price out there for you somewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tax on trade

Don't know where idloveaguiness is, but here in PA there's a sales tax advantage to trading vs. selling yourself.

Sales tax is charged on the price of the new car minus the trade in value, so when your trade is worth 10K, it knocks about $500 off the taxes due (or makes the trade equivalent to a private sale at $10,500 if you prefer).

With older cars, the difference between trade-in and retail is often much more than the tax savings, but with late model cars it can be smart to trade.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in NY......where I'll be trading in my 1995 Cherokee. I don't know about the tax savings, but I don't think it will make much of a difference in my case....but thanks for the reply nonetheless.

For you non NY'ers, the tax here is 8.5%. Lovely, just lovely.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
I'm in NY......where I'll be trading in my 1995 Cherokee. I don't know about the tax savings, but I don't think it will make much of a difference in my case....but thanks for the reply nonetheless.

For you non NY'ers, the tax here is 8.5%. Lovely, just lovely.
Ditto on the 8.5% sales tax here in Northern California.

Don't it make you wanna :16: ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmmm

Well sales tax here is 8.25%..but NO STATE INCOME TAX!!!:7:
idloveaguinness, is there only one Honda dealer where u live? Heck I had 3 of them and there internet departments all bidding against each other! Then I added to the pot and told em I was gonna buy 2 at the same time. Don't just wait for this guy to call ya back..get aggressive and get some more deals working! Good Luck and welcome to the forum!!

PS. I don't know what the value of your jeep is, but we found donating the car to a charity got us a nice lil tax write off!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I'm not alone in high tax country.....

I wish I lived in NH......0.00% - and I hear you used to be able to buy there and transfer states without having to pay your local sales tax.....I think that went away with the computer, though.

There are several dealers around where I live....some of which are so bold as to list them at $1,500 over sticker, and they are STILL getting these premiums. I think this is my major problem. To find a good deal, I think I'll have to travel a bit - which I'm not opposed to.

The search continues......

Thanks for the replies, folks - I can't wait to post with "Got it!".....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same deal in MA regarding the sales tax differential with a trade.

We also have the Lemon Law here and a private seller is liable for a full refund within 30 days. A buyer could trash the vehicle and the seller would be stuck, with a lawsuit being the only recourse.

Both of these things, plus the fact that the used minivan market up here is bursting at the seams, led us to trade the van and take the crummy trade in value. I got the deal on the new vehicle trade or no trade ($2200 off MSRP).

Chris

·
Registered
373 Posts
I thought I'd do better selling my Mountaineer myself too.
I should've traded it. It took me 6 months to sell it, add to that insurance an inspection sticker, registration renewal, advertising, the loss of the sales tax differential, and the big one AGGRAVATION. Oh yeah, I had to sell it for $3500 less than book including the balance of the extended warranty.
0 percent financing deals and heavy discounts on slow selling vehicles has plumetted resale values on many vehicles, be careful.

In MA we pay sales tax directly to the RMV not the dealer (many dealers handle the transaction, for a fee). So if we bought in NH we still have to pay sales tax before we register it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey shovelhd -

What's the dealer and where? I head to Mass often (this weekend and next, in fact) - How far from the Rte. 84 / Pike junction are you?
I may give them a call.....

I wouldn't mind a drive for a good deal......

I think the major problem in buying one here on Long Island is the demand.....it's so high, that they aren't letting them go for (much)under sticker.

I never got a call from the dealer I walked out on, by the way.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's what happened to us on our trade in. They offered $4500 for my van. I declined thne sold it on my own for $7000. Good enuff deal and return for a $28 newspaper ad.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
shovelhd said:

We also have the Lemon Law here and a private seller is liable for a full refund within 30 days. A buyer could trash the vehicle and the seller would be stuck, with a lawsuit being the only recourse.

Doesn't sound like a lemon law to me - sounds like a law passed by car dealerships to make them virtually the only source for used cars.

I wonder if selling the car out of state thru eBay would circumvent enforcement of the law? :27:

·
Registered
112 Posts
here in PA there's a sales tax advantage to trading vs. selling yourself.
It's a valid point about the sales tax advantage, but keep in mind that it's a relatively minor impact -- 7% of the differential (or whatever your tax rate is). So if a dealer offers $5,800 for your trade and you can sell it fo $7,000, the "sales tax advantage" is $84 (7% of $1,200). Your net gain by selling yourself would still be $1,116 ($1,200 - $84).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ummmm... no. If the dealer offers you $5800 for the trade in, your sales tax on the new vehicle is reduced by 7% of $5800. If you sell it yourself, you get *NO* reduction at all.

Ex:

$30000 car with $10000 trade-in:

Sales tax is ($30000 - $10000) * 7% = $1400

$30000 car with no trade-in:

Sales tax is $30000 * 7% = $2100

Net $700 which is significant, however, it may be more than offset by being able to sell the car for more than the trade-in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Missouri permits a buyer to re-coupe the sales tax on a dollar per dollar basis. I believe you have to sell a vehicle within 60 days of the replacement vehicle purchase to qualify. I've done it a couple times.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts