Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Walk Away Auto Lock, Security Relock Timer - How to Keep Passengers from Getting Locked In?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Highspeedbail 
#1 ·
I am starting this thread here because I believe it applies to many different Honda models and model years. I searched the internet and these forums, but could not find the answers. In case it matters, I drive a 2019 Honda Pilot Elite.

Summary:
If I park my Honda vehicle for a brief stop and step out of my Honda vehicle with passengers inside, it will automatically lock them in. They can let themselves out, but the alarm will sound.
Examples:
I park at the library to drop off a book, or step inside a convenience store to pick up a cup of coffee. The passengers stay in the Honda vehicle while I perform the errand.

Basic Scenario:
  • You are driving a Honda vehicle with passengers.
  • You are the only person in the vehicle with a key fob for your Honda. You carry it in your pocket.
  • The Walk Away Auto Lock feature is enabled.
  • The Security Relock Timer feature is enabled.
  • You park and shut off the Honda vehicle.
  • You step out of the Honda vehicle with the fob in your pocket. Your passengers remain inside with the doors and hatch closed.
-> No matter what you do, the Honda vehicle will lock itself and arm the alarm. Even if you unlock the vehicle as you leave, or open and then close a door, the Security Relock Timer will lock it after a delay period. Once the Honda vehicle locks itself, then if one of your passengers exits the vehicle, the alarm will sound.

QUESTION:
How can I prevent the Honda vehicle from locking itself automatically and arming the alarm system without leaving the key fob inside the Honda vehicle?

Workaround:
The Honda vehicle will not automatically lock if there is a valid key fob inside.
-> The point of the question above is learn how to prevent it from locking without a key fob inside.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Not really.

-> The issue is that the passengers are inside the Honda vehicle when the alarm is automatically armed, whether the windows are up or down. If a passenger needs to open a door for any reason, the alarm will sound.

The question is: How do you prevent that from happening? So far, the only solutions have been:
  • Leave the fob in the car with the passengers.
  • Leave a door open when you walk away.
  • Disable the Walk Away Auto Lock and/or Security Relock Timer feature(s) as needed.
I had hoped for something better. Obviously this is a "corner test case" that Honda engineers, software developers, and quality assurance did not consider. (Or perhaps they considered it, but decided not to incorporate it into their design.)

#7 ·
Another solution: disable it if is not working for you.
Good point. I updated my list of proposed solutions in post #5 and added your suggestion, above.

The problem is that most of the time, I use and appreciate the Walk Away Auto Lock and Security Relock Timer features. There are times when they are inconvenient. They are not that common, but happen often enough to be worth the effort to find a solution.

Unless a much better solution appears, I will leave the fob in the car with the passenger(s).

#8 ·
I typically leave the car running if people are still in the vehicle.

Depending on the neighborhood and how long it'll take ill ask someone to lock it from the inside as the key fob won't lock it with the vehicle running.

In Florida its too hot and it's not safe to leave kids or people in the car with the windows up on a hot summer day.

Ymmv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.