Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about time to change fluid. Just to confirm, is there a drain plug at bottom of differential or do I need to pump out the old fluid (like on my Ford).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
gator said:
Just about time to change fluid. Just to confirm, is there a drain plug at bottom of differential or do I need to pump out the old fluid (like on my Ford).
There is a drain plug and a fill plug. You will need two new crush washers - each is a different size. I believe it takes something like 3 qts.

HTH

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Replacing the crush washers is optional, though the guy behind the parts counter will push them. If you are heavy handed, then you should replace them. Otherwise they can be re-used many times. I say it's smart to have a set of replacements on hand and just inspect the old ones when you change the fluid...

Be sure to loosen the upper fill plug before the drain plug -- the last thing you ever want is to drain the fluid only to find the fill plug is seized.

~ Fred

·
Registered
620 Posts
RagerXS said:
Replacing the crush washers is optional, though the guy behind the parts counter will push them. If you are heavy handed, then you should replace them. Otherwise they can be re-used many times. I say it's smart to have a set of replacements on hand and just inspect the old ones when you change the fluid...

Be sure to loosen the upper fill plug before the drain plug -- the last thing you ever want is to drain the fluid only to find the fill plug is seized.

~ Fred
Now that is a smart idea! :27:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Now that is a smart idea! :27:
It is a smart idea, though I can't take credit for it...

If you ever find the fill plug siezed before you drain the fluid, then it is a dealer problem. If you find the plug siezed after you drain the fluid, then it's your problem. Nobody wants that!

~ Fred

·
Registered
920 Posts
I did mine awhile back and they were not too bad...just gotta have some muscle...like me! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
How to change rear Diff Fluid.

It appears to be straight forward but I would like to confirm how to change the fluid. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the help. This is how I thought it was done but wanted to make sure. The dealer wants 199 for the oil change and diff change. Seems high when you can easily do it yourself. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Merged KM1.8T's thread called "How to change rear Diff Fluid." from 09/26/2003 with this current one to clean things up a bit... :)

-= kemosabe =-

·
Registered
570 Posts
I haven't really read the other posts as far as cost, but I just had my done and it was $30 for the VTM-4 fluid change.

I was expecting a lot more, but that is what it was. If I can get it done that cheap, I'll have someone else do it.

I will add that it is a independent Honda Mechanic, not the dealership. And I watched them do it, and yes they used VTM-4 Fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VTM4 Fluid Change Frequency

Anybody have their dealer recommend VTM4 Fluid changes every 7500miles? I live in Sacramento, CA and the dealer is recommending fluid changes every 7500 vs. 15000 as recommended in the owner's manual?? You think they're pulling a fast one on me?:(

·
Registered
423 Posts
I took my Pilot in at 7500 miles and asked about the change and the dealer told me to wait until 15000.
Guess every dealer does what they want to.
Dealer told me if I have not been doing off road driving, the 15000 would be fine.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
4603pba said:
I took my Pilot in at 7500 miles and asked about the change and the dealer told me to wait until 15000.
Guess every dealer does what they want to.
Dealer told me if I have not been doing off road driving, the 15000 would be fine.
Same here. I had the first change at 15k.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My Suggestion....

Follow what your Owner's Manual says and tell the dealer to get the hell out of your wallet.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: My Suggestion....

PILOTinginCO said:
Follow what your Owner's Manual says and tell the dealer to get the hell out of your wallet.
Actually, the dealer saved me money by telling me to do it at 15k instead of 7500.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: VTM4 Fluid Change Frequency

jt888 said:
Anybody have their dealer recommend VTM4 Fluid changes every 7500miles? I live in Sacramento, CA and the dealer is recommending fluid changes every 7500 vs. 15000 as recommended in the owner's manual?? You think they're pulling a fast one on me?:(
Could that be the severe driving conditions schedule because of the heat in Sacramento?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts

jt888 said:
Page 276 of the manual shows a VTM-4 change at 7500, 15k, and every 15k after that. That's the severe schedule.

·
Registered
620 Posts

jt888 said:
JT, what dealer in Sacramento?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts