Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m new tot his forum and as I’ve worked on my wife’s 2006 4WD pilot it has been very helpful. I’m running into a few different problems. If I could get your help that’s be great! First issue. I just replaced the VTM4 fluid, new crush washers and fluid from the dealer. When I took the drain plug out there was quite a bit of metal shavings in it. Which is not good. Anyways I put new fluid in put 35ft pounds on the bolts and had the computer reset. Now the light came back on. Not entirely sure what to do.

My second issue is this the check engine light. New iridium Bosch plugs and NGK ignition coils. Torqued the plugs to 13ft pounds.

Changed bank 1 sensor 2 (after the cat) and that issue went away.

hopefully I’m getting to the point here. Does the computer need to work itself out or do I have a timing issue? Any help would be great thanks!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Metal shavings, if very finely ground (think baking flour), are commonly found on the drain plug magnet. If you’re seeing larger pieces that would be more of a concern.

You will need a Honda Specific code scanner to pull the VTM-4 code. You could also try the OBD2 jumper method which blinks the major code (but not subcode) on the dash. Do a search on “Flashing D” and one of those threads has the OBD2 jumper method.

You might also try disconnecting battery negative for 10 minutes then reconnecting. This will clear the code, then you can drive for a bit to see if the code comes back.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
What were the codes associated with the check engine light? One common issue on Pilots with many miles is clogged EGR passages in the intake manifold. This can trigger a CEL with misfire codes, as well as setting the VTM4 light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The code that it came up with was the P0172 saying that bank one system one was running too rich. So I replaced the O2 sensor and that solved part of my issue. So I need to probably get a Honda scanner on the pilot to see what code it is pulling (if I need to go more in depth). The code that Autozone pulled up was a misfire for 1,3,6 and that’s the back side of the engine. I don’t know if this is a issue or not. So pretty much the whole life of the car was ran on E85 and from my understanding just about any Honda needs to run on at least E87. That being said I think you are right about clogged EGR in the intake. Would my issue be solved my pulling the throttle body and cleaning that? I know past the butterfly valve there is a lot of carbon build up.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
You’ll want to clean the upper intake manifold. For starters you remove the cover plate under the plastic engine cover and clean out the passageways. You should be able to find some how to’s on this site.

Reactions: Andon

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts

Tools needed: a good brush, a generous helping of elbow grease, and I'm gonna say a 10mm socket, but that last one's just Murphy's Law Conjecture on my part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help! glad I’m able to get some answers. I’ll keep you all posted on how it goes cleaning the EGR and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts