Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

VTM, VSA, ABS, lights on. And what are these?

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ConrodM 
#1 ·
Randomly popped open the hood today trying to figure out why my VSA, VTM, and ABS lights are on and won't clear after restart. Car is running fine, but noticed some odd things

First is this box with a inlet/outlet with nothing connected. What is this and what if anything should be connected to that end?

Then there is this tube which looks like it has some grease on the end.

Are they related?

Car drove on a 500 mile road trip the day before. No lights no issues. Next day all these dash lights are on. No codes are coming up on my scanner.

See less See more
#2 ·
Both parts are fine and should be left the way they are.
Try a different scanner maybe. What is your scanner model anyway?

#3 · (Edited)
Right, they're both breathers and are OK. Sometimes Honda-specific trouble lights can be cleared only with a Honda-specific (HDS) scanner. But first, check all your fluids, including VTM-4. When was the last time they were all changed? Also check the battery and alternator, if only to rule that out.

#4 ·
Generic scan tools won’t read the Honda specific codes. Some units from Foxwell are of the lesser expensive variety which can decipher Honda codes.

#5 ·
Battery and alternator are reading fine. VTM fluid was changed 2 years maybe 15k miles ago. Which other fluids? Brake fluid probably, but oil? power steering? transmission?

Scanner I have is a cheapy, I keep in the CAR.

I have a VAG-COM for VW-AUDI which has a generic ODB functionality, but not sure if it would be any better for the Honda. Any recommendations for a proper Honda scanner?

#6 ·
A dumb reader with a good piece of software on a laptop is ways better than a cheap smart scanner.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I use the Foxwell NT520 and have been very happy with it. It costs around $200 for the scanner and Honda/Acura specific codes. It’s about $70 more each for codes from other makes. Unit can be loaded with 5 makes of codes.

#10 ·
So I have a better scanner on order but I am in a bit of a pinch to get this car trip ready soon. The scanner my local autozone pulled nothing so I did the shorting pin 4 & 9 method on the ODB II port.

From what I can decipher the ABS is throwing codes

The VTM

I recorder a video to do the counts but I may be off a bit especially on the quicker blinks. Anyone have a resource as to what these codes are? The service manual section I have is for a 2003 and does not list these numbers.

#11 ·
Download the 2006 FSM from the sticky thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.