Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I mean the fluid (Dual Pump II) isn't expensive in the grand scheme of thing and all of the wizardry that makes the AWD system better than ANYTHING else in the class happens in the rear diff. But I've never heard of anyone replacing the rear diff fluid before the 30k, many go much longer not realizing it should be done at all.

My take (I am not a Honda tech): replace every 30k, starting at 30k. If parts require break-in on mainstream vehicles it is usually done at the factory before it is shipped to the dealer.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I haven't heard of "break in fluid" for the VTM. If I had a new 2021 under warranty, I'd follow the Maintenance Minder. If it said to change it at 12k, I would. Otherwise no.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
If you follow the maintenance minder, the first rear differential fluid change is usually in the first 15,000 miles then every 60k after that

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
If you follow the maintenance minder, the first rear differential fluid change is usually in the first 15,000 miles then every 60k after that
That sounds like "break in fluid" to me.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Yes the rear differential fluid first change is at 12,000 mile. Unlike the engine and transmission the rear differential does not have a filter to catch the residue from the mating of the new gears. The way to take care of this is to drain the fluid after 12,000 miles and fill it with fresh clean fluid. The fluid is a "break in" fluid in terms of getting the gear mating residue out.

After that, if memory serves me correctly, the rear differential fluid is changed every 30K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts