Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Pilot for 13 mo. - one of the first. It has 20,000 vacation miles - in fact we are in Colorodo now and unfortunately have come across a problem. We were on a dirt/rock road (not off-roading) and hit something (presumably a rock). Since then the vtm-4 option will not come on and all forward gears make a deep rumbling and vibrating noise - the faster you go the worse it is. Even neutral makes some noise but park and reverse seem to be perfectly fine.

We stopped to have a Jeep mech take a quick look and he didn't find any obvious damage, all fluids normal and no leeks.

We're out of town on vacation and the nearest Honda dealer is 300 miles away in NM. I plan on taking the Pilot to a "certified" Honda dealer in Durango but before I do I wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

ghc

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes. Don't drive it until you contact Honda roadside assistance and see what they recommend. You could cause more damages.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I agree, contact your closes Honda dealer, ask them if you should drive it there or if they think that it could cause more damage get them to tow it! Make sure they pick up the tab..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Owner Responsibility

I Agree Honda won't warranty for this type of damaged.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I don't think Honda will warrenty this but hopefully my insurance will cover it. We were on a designated road so hopefully it falls under road-hazard.

I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I guess I should have paid attention to you first post. Yes, Honda will not warranty this if it was a rock that damaged your VTM. But hey, you never know..

·
Registered
920 Posts
First off, how does Honda know anything until you tell them???

Secondly, I had a similar experience this weekend. I was looking at lots for a new house and had to drive some brutal, unpaved 'roads'. The next think I know is that I hear some metallic clanking under my Pilot (2x) and now the engine malfuntion light is on...not cool. Anyway, I dropped it off this morning. So, we'll see what happens.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
MG Pilot said:

Secondly, I had a similar experience this weekend.
This is disconcerting. If I am afraid to take the Pilot on rough roads because I may have these kinds of problems what is the point of a high ground clearance SUV?

·
Registered
199 Posts
For those that have had "off-road" type damage (even if on-road), be sure to let us know what specifically was damaged. I drive on rough roads a lot and would like to know what to be extra careful of and what to look for.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
florida_guy said:

This is disconcerting. If I am afraid to take the Pilot on rough roads because I may have these kinds of problems what is the point of a high ground clearance SUV?
I'm sure this is disconcerting, and I hope for a positive outcome. I've had my Pilot on a rough road at least once a month in a year, to visit my parents, and I've never once had a problem.

It's a dirt/gravel road that's susceptible to lots of potholes and the washboard effect on one particularly steep hill, and I'm always pleased at how well the Pilot handles that road.

Hoping for the best with this particular situation. Keep us all posted. --Jay

·
Registered
119 Posts
gohotchick said:
We've had our Pilot for 13 mo. - one of the first. It has 20,000 vacation miles - in fact we are in Colorodo now and unfortunately have come across a problem. We were on a dirt/rock road (not off-roading) and hit something (presumably a rock). Since then the vtm-4 option will not come on and all forward gears make a deep rumbling and vibrating noise - the faster you go the worse it is. Even neutral makes some noise but park and reverse seem to be perfectly fine.

We stopped to have a Jeep mech take a quick look and he didn't find any obvious damage, all fluids normal and no leeks.

We're out of town on vacation and the nearest Honda dealer is 300 miles away in NM. I plan on taking the Pilot to a "certified" Honda dealer in Durango but before I do I wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

ghc

Has anyone heard a resolution to this problem?

JJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts