Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone -

I'm brand new to this group, and I hope you may be able to shed some light on an issue that is really bugging me.

I have a 2005 Pilot, bought it new, now has 217,000 miles on it. I've never had anyone but the dealer work on it, bring it in every 3750 miles for oil changes, whatever work/replacements have had to be done has been done by the dealer.

In the last couple of months, the VTM Lock-4 has engaged while I'm driving. It happens out of the blue, and creates what feels like a drag-like effect on the car, where I can't accelerate past like 20 mph. It has happened on surface streets, fortunately, not on the highway, when I have been driving around 30 - 40 mph. It makes the car feel the way it might feel if you tried to walk with a 50-lb weight fastened to one of your ankles. The only way to turn off the VTM once it engages, I believe, is to actually pull over, shut off the car, then start again.

It happened once about two months ago. Then it happened once about a week ago. Today it happened twice within about 15 minutes. Again, each time I was on a surface street, so only going like 30 or 40, and it was no big deal to put on my hazard lights, carefully pull over, shut the car off then start it again and go on my way. But if this happened on the highway at like 70 mph, I'd think that would be a much more dangerous situation.

Can anyone tell me what makes a VTM Lock-4 engage by itself? Is it just that the car is very old and has 200k+ miles, or is there something I should be looking out for. Also, if it were to happen while I was on the highway, is there a quick, easy way to get the VTM to disengage? Obviously, if I'm in the far left passing lane (which I usually am), it might be very dangerous to have to get three or four lanes over, turn off the car, then restart then engine, in the middle of fast-moving highway traffic.

Any and all advice/insight/feedback much appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I’d start by getting the diagnostic codes read and going from there.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have a feeling that your brakes are dragging, rather than vtm4 kicks in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the same problem with a 2005... It isn't brakes or tires. The light goes on and when you let off of the gas it feels like driving in first gear, instantly slows the vehicle. Prior to that it coasts nicely after letting off the gas...
Firestone is lost... As am I.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
In any case I think the VTM4 light is a red herring. It comes on with all sorts of DTCs, so I wouldn't use it as a diagnostic light. Additionally VTM4 is a drive system, and engagement of it would not slow your vehicle unless the rear was fully "locked" while turning. The problem likely lies in the VSA or ABS systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts