Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just witnessed the same problem with my pilot. Any ideas?

Battery is maybe 4 months old so I don't think that's the case. If its The abs sensor I hope it's covered by my extended warranty.

Edit: so I tried to get to autozone twice for a free obd2 scan and both times the light went away before they scanned my car do no codes. If it
Is a wheel abs sensor as suggested where can I check? I'm thinking it could also be a loose connector somewhere. Also is there a fuse? Either way I'll check online when I get home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The mystery continues. I have a 2005 Pilot that has experienced the intermittent issue of the ABS, VSA, VTM and ! lights coming on. It's been happening sporadically for the last 2 years. It seems to occur more often during warmer and moist weather. The last time it happened was October 2014. Since it is a third car, we don't drive it often. However, this winter I used it whenever it snowed, probably 15 times back and forth to work. Lights never stayed on all winter. This past Thursday (4/2/15) the lights stayed on again and have been the last three times I've driven it.

The car drives fine. With these lights on, does it mean the ABS does not work? I'm not as concerned about the other functions since I'm not using this car that often. From what I read all these devices interact with each other and depend on wiring/sensors to the wheels (VSA/ABS/VTM). Could checking the wiring/sensors for exposure to moisture something to consider?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue....we returned from a long drive to and from Mexico. A couple days after we returned our ABS and VSA (!) lights came on. The first couple weeks the lights would come on and go off. They now have been on steady for the last month and a half.

When they are lit up and you turn on the car and go forward about 10 feet....we would hear a sound like a oump was trying to send somethign somewhere. We were just told today by the Honda dealership that we need a new ABS modulator unit....used it is like 700$ with labour....New it is like 1800$ with labour....:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2011 Honda pilot we had a bad storm ice snow mix got stuck going up a hill managed to get the truck up and to the house but all these lights came on the dash (VAS) TVI (ABS) (!) *in a triagle typ image. I parked the truck at home for about 20-min then went back out started her up and the TVI light gone but everything els still there should I be alaremed at all by them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to resurrect this thread but I need some help.
I have an 07 EX 4WD.
Here is what happened with mine. Initially my brakes locked up on me, car wouldn't move, VSA light and VSA triangle popped on, this was last November. I unplugged the brake fluid sensor on the master cylinder and it freed the brakes. No more issues. I ended up getting a new battery thinking that it was something with that since it was an old one. Fast fwd a couple of months and it happens again as I am about to get on the interstate, so I do the same trick however this time when she comes too no ABS, but the only lights are still VSA and VSA triangle. I get it home and check all brakes and they are good, rotors not warn. I bleed the brakes and the rear left will not bleed - bad master cylinder. I take it in to get it replaced and all is back to normal except the lights are there, the mechanic can't clear them. I have a buddy who has a high end code reader get in there to try and clear them but he can't and says it is a driver front speed sensor perm fail. I order it and replaced it yesterday. After replacing it - VSA light, VSA triangle, VTM light, and ABS light all come on.
I am wanting to sale this car since we just bought something else but I am not going to sale it like it is.
Any help would be appreciated.
(new brakes on all corners, fresh honda fluid, new MC, new Honda speed sensor)

Jay

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am wondering if you paid to have this fixed because I believe it was included in the recall for the 2005 Pilot. We have a 2006 Pilot with the same problem, and it will randomly lose the ability to accelerate at high speeds (like, 70 on the expressway). It doesn't "die" because lights, radio, etc. are still on but without acceleration we have to pull over right away. We had a couple close calls (this has happened 6+ times, maybe up to 9) but always safely made it to the shoulder. Once we turn the car off and turn it back on it will drive again although the lights stay on. We are now told we need the ABS module replaced and the cost is $1700.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this problem with a 2013 Pilot after getting moisture/bad gas... in the gas tank. Dealer said I had to change my spark plugs and redo the cylinders, for $924! If I disconnect the battery the car runs great for a day then lights are back on and it rides rough. Swear this is a sensor and leftover moisture! I'm putting in Lucas tune up in a bottle and burning through all the gas in it. Then I'll try 93 octane and see if this helps. Wish me luck! My great extended 7yr 100,000 mile warranty isn't covering any of it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having this problem with a 2013 Pilot after getting moisture/bad gas... in the gas tank. Dealer said I had to change my spark plugs and redo the cylinders, for $924! If I disconnect the battery the car runs great for a day then lights are back on and it rides rough. Swear this is a sensor and leftover moisture! I'm putting in Lucas tune up in a bottle and burning through all the gas in it. Then I'll try 93 octane and see if this helps. Wish me luck! My great extended 7yr 100,000 mile warranty isn't covering any of it!
You should always run 93 octane in all 2nd generation Honda pilots or your pilot will always run sluggish

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should always run 93 octane in all 2nd generation Honda pilots or your pilot will always run sluggish
I've run '87 in both of my Pilots and never had an issue. Just make sure it's a good quality fuel. I run Shell exclusively. The owner's manual only recommends premium fuel when towing more than 3500lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your brake fluid level for starters. Though I'm sure (I hope) the dealer checked that when you had it in. My issue just went away after about a month, never to return. Hopefully yours will do the same.
I have the same issue. It happens every few months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this very same problem. It happens every few months.
Howcome, you are not really out of the wood yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the problem with the abs light, brake light, and vtm-4 light coming on. I ran the codes off the 4 & 9 pin for the abs and got the codes 52 and 53, shows up as left clutch coil circuit. I went underneath the rear end and disconnected both the 2 pin and the 6 pin connectors and re connected them and the problem seems to have gone away for now. Just figured i would give you guys a heads up, maybe it may help some one else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are currently having a very similar problem. 2005 pilot Battery and alternator are 6 months old. Lights in the dashboard are battery, airbag,vtm-4, brake, vsa, abs, and (!). The really strange thing is that the drivers side power window isn't working regularly. This occurred simultaneously with the lights...all other windows and electronics are working fine. Just wondering why the window wouldn't be working.
Did you ever find a fix for this. It just started on my 2006 pilot with 187,000 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently having this issue again. It started in the spring on my 2011 Pilot. I took the vehicle into my local mechanic as he is usually reasonable and if he can't find the problem, he won't charge me. He asked how old the battery was and I knew I replaced in just before Christmas with a Duralast Gold from Autozone. He diagnosed the problem to be a a bad traction control module. He needed to order it from Honda and it would take a few days. When the part came in they had trouble programming it. They found out that the real problem was the battery was to week and voltage was low. I then took the battery back to Autozone and exchanged it under warranty. After I put the new battery in, the lights all went off. Great! Now, 5 month later I'm having the same problem. Guess what? Bad battery. Apparently Autozone sells some bad batteries. Don't trust the battery.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
A good cautionary tale about Autozone. A fairly reliable alternative is Walmart batteries, from many accounts.

Might want to test the alternator, too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A necro thread, I know, but will just throw out my bit of experience:
Sometime earlier this year, I took my 2013 EX in for service to the dealership. Oil change, usual checks etc. But when I get back into car after service, it got Brake, ABS, VSA etc on. Went right back to the counter about this. Was late in the day, about to close, they tried to BS me that car was fine to drive and lights ought to go away after a while. I asked the guy if HE would take HIS car on a highway with brake light on, he would not answer that. So got them to give me a loaner and left the car there.
Since the condition was caused by something they did while they had the car, they obviously figured they would not be able to peg me for an expensive repair, (like you gotta replace your ABS) So they made an actual effort to find the real issue.
Turned out mechanic apparently yanked some wire on a connector close to oil filter while changing it, causing it to lose contact. Once they put the fire back in place, the problem went away.
So, if you get this issue, double-check any connectors in the oil filter vicinity. If the problem occurs in wet conditions, it is possible that mosture gets into a connector an causes a short - in such case, double check your connectors are water-tight. (gaskets, grease etc)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Read the codes before you do anything.
You can either use an expensive scanner or a cheap HDS cable, or a pin 4-9 jumper trick.
There is a troubleshooting procedure in the FSM for all VTM and ABS related issues. D/l the FSM and go from there.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts