Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 pilot and when the vtm light is on it puts me in limp mode and I’ve switched the relays multiple time but the light comes back on I don’t know what else to do because there’s not much info online

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Local auto parts stores like Advance / Autozone offer free scans. Post up anything that pops up for further discussion.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts
If the auto parts stores use generic code readers I doubt a VTM code will appear since that is Honda/Acura specific. Assuming this is the case, your two options will be to have the code read by a shop which has a Honda specific reader or use the OBD2 port jumper method to flash the main (but not sub code) on the dash.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Third option would be to buy a reader which covers Honda specific codes. The cost of the reader might end up being the same as paying for a diagnostic, but you get to keep the reader.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
OK, so I'd switch out the VTM-4 relay. And maybe also the fuse.

The section below is for a 2006-2008, but hopefully it's in or near the same location.

That said, when was the last time you changed your VTM-4 fluid?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Does your scan tool have any diagnostic modes for the VTM system? Mine does, although I have never tried any of them out.
As plplplpl said check the fuse. I would do it with a multimeter instead of visually.?
Also verify the relays are working correctly. I’m sure you can find a YouTube video of how to test a relay.
If all that checks out I would verify the relay control signal (pin 85 or 86 on the relay panel) to verify; one will always be tied to chassis while the other one should switch between 12v and chassis/ground under various conditions).
Also check the wiring harness going to the rear diff for any corrosion/bad connection/etc.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so I'd switch out the VTM-4 relay. And maybe also the fuse.

The section below is for a 2006-2008, but hopefully it's in or near the same location.

That said, when was the last time you changed your VTM-4 fluid?
I don’t think it’s ever been changed as it was givin to me by my father , also I checked the relays and all seem to work now I just have to check the fuse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts