Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just going over my manual and for the way my Pilot gets used, mostly in stop-and-go driving and also in Severe Condition (plus, my wife uses the Pilot most of the time and she's makes many short trips during the day-typical soccer mom usage), it's supposed be replaced every 12,000KM or 7,500miles. However, mine was never changed when I had the 12,000KM service, according to the service invoice I have.

I know that under Normal Conditions, it's supposed to get replaced at 24,000KM or 15,000miles but I'm supposed to follow the Severe Condition schedule. There is, however, an asterisk saying that for Severe Condition owners, the VTM-4 is supposed to follow the Severe Condition, replaced every 12,000KM if the Pilot is used for off-highway driving, trailer towing OR mainly in stop-and-go traffic. Last part certainly describes our Pilot usage situation.

But, my dealer never even asked me if I drive my Pilot under those conditions. I would've thought that even if they assumed that my Pilot didn't need it, they'd at least ask me about it. I'll call up the dealer tomorrow and inquire about this. In the meantime, would my VTM-4 system have incurred unnecessary or premature wear because it wasn't change according to the Severe Condition schedule recommended? We get -35C (-30F) temperatures during the winter, coupled with heaps and heaps of snow on the road.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I'm sure you're fine. At either 7500 or 15000, most of us on the X board have noted that the VTM4 fluid comes out *really* clean with virtually no shavings on the drainplug.

Don't worry about it and just do 7500 in the future if you're gonna follow the severe schedule.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, words comfort...

TW, thanks for those reassuring words. I did think that it'd be alright, but I always have a fatalistic view on everything. Can't help it, it's just the way I am :bonk: You haven't been around here much in the last little while, TW. Busy these days? Too painful to lower yourself to us Pilot folks? :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I do a lot of stop and go driving, but being that I live in Sunny S. Florida, I don't use the VTM. Think it is okay to just do it every 15,000? I mean since I don't use it anyway, what can it hurt right?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FLPilot said:
I do a lot of stop and go driving, but being that I live in Sunny S. Florida, I don't use the VTM. Think it is okay to just do it every 15,000? I mean since I don't use it anyway, what can it hurt right?
You have nothing to worry about. If I lived where you lived, then, I wouldn't have even asked about it. But you and I live worlds and climates apart, thus the concern I had. But, I'll be changing my VTM-4 fluid every 12K from now on though, even if my dealer say every 24K is OK.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
FLPilot said:
I would simply folllow the "normal" schedule. As for not using it - you need to punch that bomb more often and spin the tires some!!! :22: Just watch out for the local LEO's when you do it!
:14:

:awais:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I do a lot of stop and go driving, but being that I live in Sunny S. Florida, I don't use the VTM.
You use the VTM whenever you step on the gas -- a percentage of torque is apportioned to the rear proactively.

It's also used when slippage is detected.

Or when you lock it on in 1/2/R.

Follow the proper schedule based on your driving habits and environment. A VTM fluid change takes about the same amount of time as an oil change, and the fluid is ~$20. It isn't worth skipping to save the minimal time or money.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since I do a little towing (750lbs). I'm going to follow an easily remeber schedule that keeps me within spec.

VTM - 10,000 miles
OIL - 5,000 miles (not the first change)(will use a syn-blend)

Easy to remeber and will keep my Pilot running along time; if I'm lucky maybe I'll approach the 375,000 I got out of my 84 Accord.

Joe

·
Registered
82 Posts
vtm-4 light

Anybody know what it means when your check engine light and VTM-4 light come on at the same time?

The manual says the engine icon (check engine) is emissions related. I had just pulled out of the gas station after a fill-up. I thought I gave the fuel cap enough clicks, but maybe I didnt.

The manual also states that the VTM-4 light comes on when something in the vtm-4 system is malfunctioning. (great help)...

Anyone have any experience with this?

I've got 8,600 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts