Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine and VTM-4 light just came on simultaneously.

Anyone have any experience with this?

The manual says the engine icon (check engine) is emissions related. I had just finished filling the tank at the gas station. I thought I got quite a few "clicks" after tightening the fuel cap.

The manual only says the vtm-4 light indicates a malfunction in the system and to have it checked.

8,600 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
dsrpilot said:

The manual says the engine icon (check engine) is emissions related. I had just finished filling the tank at the gas station. I thought I got quite a few "clicks" after tightening the fuel cap.

The manual only says the vtm-4 light indicates a malfunction in the system and to have it checked.

8,600 miles on the odometer.
Get it checked. The common item is teh engine controller.
Make sure they give you a list of the error codes (yu will have to ask before they start working on it) Keep them for your records, especialy if they "find nothing wrong".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes.. Certain sensors that can trip the check engine lamp will also affect the VTM-4 lamp.. doesn't mean there is a problem with the variable torque management system.. it only means it was affected and also reporting the malfunction...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VTM-4 Light resolution

Turned out to be the EGR valve

code was P1491 - EGR Valve Failure.

It's back on the road... :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Engine Light and VTM-4 Light On

Experienced this too. I had the light come on at 295 miles. Barely drove the Pilot. It was very disturbing! Started to hear noises in the engine as I slowed down to a stop. I took it immediately to the dealer. At first they thought it was the oxygen sensor, it turns out, the fuel injectors were clogged and needed a brand new one! Whats going on?? After Honda replaced it under warranty, I haven't had any problems. It's about 350 miles right now, I hope I dont have to cross my fingers for the next hundred miles!

------------------------------
'04 Honda Pilot
'02 Acura RSX
'98 Honda Civic

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tonight the pilot engine started pulsing (rpms) and the check engine light came on followed by the vtm-4 light. Of course tomorrow is Sunday so I hope they can still do something for us to get it back going. It has around 14k.

jim

·
Registered
25 Posts

When you were gasing up your Pilot, was the engine running? THis would cause the check engine light to come on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got ours back tonight. Had error code P0505. They replaced the Air Controller Valve.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our check engine and VTM light came on four days ago. The dealer has had the vehicle for three full days now. So far they relplaced a fuel injector, but there is still a problem. "Black gunk" on injectors, according to dealer. Anyone have an idea of what causes the problem? We have about 12K miles on the vehicle. We do lots of short trips during the week (1 to 4 miles). On weekends, we tend to drive a lot further (200 plus miles). I have always purchased gas at a local Texaco; I never look for "cheap" gas. I've always used regular. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm concerned that such a new car has what seems like such a serious problem. What's to keep this from happening repeatedly?

The Pilot is a 2003, Havasa blue.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
nz2 said:
Our check engine and VTM light came on four days ago. The dealer has had the vehicle for three full days now. So far they relplaced a fuel injector, but there is still a problem. "Black gunk" on injectors, according to dealer. Anyone have an idea of what causes the problem? We have about 12K miles on the vehicle. We do lots of short trips during the week (1 to 4 miles). On weekends, we tend to drive a lot further (200 plus miles). I have always purchased gas at a local Texaco; I never look for "cheap" gas. I've always used regular. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm concerned that such a new car has what seems like such a serious problem. What's to keep this from happening repeatedly?

The Pilot is a 2003, Havasa blue.
Sounds a lot like the EGR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VTM-4

Thanks for the response. Have a Honda case number now. Dealer wants to charge to clean out tank and replace injectors fouled by black gunk. Says it's a bad tank of gas. I don't believe it; as I said, we've used the same gas station for years with no problem. Will follow-up with this group when Honda of America responds.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: VTM-4

nz2 said:
Thanks for the response. Have a Honda case number now. Dealer wants to charge to clean out tank and replace injectors fouled by black gunk. Says it's a bad tank of gas. I don't believe it; as I said, we've used the same gas station for years with no problem. Will follow-up with this group when Honda of America responds.
Not sure what part of NH you're in, but a co worker of mine recently had same thing happen with a brand new VW. It was traced to bad gas somewhere in the near the seacoast NH area. Apparently many others were effected. PM me if you want me to find out which gas station it was (I believe she is pursueing it with them, since the dealer would not pay for damage/labor).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts