Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all We on a vacation to Utah NPs, pulling a 3000 lb camper. All was well until we hit the mountains around Denver. We left from Wisconsin. The light has been on now for 5 days. It goes off after the car sits overnight, but comes back on after the engine warms up. It seems to pull the camper fine especially on some steep gravel roads. Check engine light is on as well. Had codes PO171, PO174, PO420. All of these relate to O2 mountain air and a lean running condition. My question: is the VTM-4 light also caused by the lean running codes? We are currently in Escalante, UT and obviously no Honda dealer within 110 miles. Will I damage anything by continuing our travel in the mountains? I appreciate any comments on this issue. 2011 Pilot Touring Package

·
Registered
447 Posts
Rear differential overheating can trigger the light. You should check the fluid level in the diff. If you DIY, get a gallon of Honda VTM4 fluid and do a change. If you don't, have the rear diff serviced at a dealer or by a mechanic who is familiar with Honda's. Use Honda VTM4 fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear differential overheating can trigger the light. You should check the fluid level in the diff. If you DIY, get a gallon of Honda VTM4 fluid and do a change. If you don't, have the rear diff serviced at a dealer or by a mechanic who is familiar with Honda's. Use Honda VTM4 fluid.
thanks stmech. if I would have brought my socket and ratchet set I could check it and change it myself. But Honda VTM-4 fluid not available anywhere until I get to St. George, Utah. This bums me out as I had all fluids changed last August. Guess the traler towing makes a difference on frequency of changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts