Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the VTM-4 light come on the other day on a 2009 model. We took it in to the dealer and were told that there is a Electromagnetic clutch failure on the left side and that we would need to replace the read differential unit. Has anyone else had issues with this? Also, the quote from the dealer was just shy of $4000...ouch. We have taken good care of the vehicle. It has 72,000 miles and we have kept up with all the maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
15,212 Posts
Don't think I have heard of any rear diff failures on this forum before.
My knee jerk reaction is that the are blowing smoke in your direction.
Did they reset the light? I would drain the diff looking for any bits in it. Refill and drive suspecting a faulty sensor.
Or possibly a weak battery if that's never been replaced.

·
Registered
124 Posts
$4,000 to replace the differential? Are they also replacing the transmission? /sarcasm. That sounds about 75% higher than even a high estimate would be.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
$4,000 to replace the differential? Are they also replacing the transmission? /sarcasm. That sounds about 75% higher than even a high estimate would be.
Did you actually check the price of the rear differential unit, or was that just a WAG?
Given that the unit costs about $2300-$3300, depending upon where you buy it, what would you then charge for the repair?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might just be my imagination, but it does feel like there is a bit of a shudder and slight decrease of power when accelerating. I may have not even noticed it if I hadn't taken it in and gotten the diagnosis of the clutch failure. Anyway, like I said it is very faint but I do think it is a problem. The dealer is working with us on the price because we have been able to show that we have kept up with the maintenance. I guess maybe ours is just a fluke? since it doesn't look like many of you have had issues with the rear differential...especially with such low mileage on the vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why in the world is it that expensive? What a rip. Cheapest I could find is $2300. I found the guts for my '06 for $240 but the whole assembly pre-assembled is still $2,000. Rear-diff failure basically means trade in the Pilot.

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's an odd failure to have in an '09. How many miles?

Most of the time the diff is just spinning the rear shafts, do you do a lot of driving in 4WD?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not a true diff...

The VTM4 AWD is based on clutch plates.. It's not you'r typical rear differential. It's actually, technically not a differential at all. My VTM-4 is throwing the 56-1 code at me... "right rear clutch coil failure".. Honda here said they have never seen that code displayed EVER... it has also NEVER been mentioned in this forum.. I am currently at a battle with mine to figure out why the VTM-4 cuts out (light comes on) as soon as the gas is pressed. After working at this for MONTHS, my guess is there is something wrong with the rear sending unit.. Maybe corrosion as we live in Newfoundland and the problem USED to be intermittent.. I don't think there is anything wrong with my AWD other than some electrical short.. I'm curious as to what has happened to YOUR pilot after forking out all that Dough!?!?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a true diff...

The VTM4 AWD is based on clutch plates.. It's not you'r typical rear differential. It's actually, technically not a differential at all. My VTM-4 is throwing the 56-1 code at me... "right rear clutch coil failure".. Honda here said they have never seen that code displayed EVER... it has also NEVER been mentioned in this forum.. I am currently at a battle with mine to figure out why the VTM-4 cuts out (light comes on) as soon as the gas is pressed. After working at this for MONTHS, my guess is there is something wrong with the rear sending unit.. Maybe corrosion as we live in Newfoundland and the problem USED to be intermittent.. I don't think there is anything wrong with my AWD other than some electrical short.. I'm curious as to what has happened to YOUR pilot after forking out all that Dough!?!?!
I have same problem changed rear differential and same thing happened vtm-4 light still on when has peddle is pushed or I put in 2nd hear hit button and automatically triggered light on this is B's and dealer has never seen this code let e know what you find out please

1 - 12 of 12 Posts