Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Pilotmobile said:
Hi,
How can you tell the VTM-4 is engaged ? Can you feel it, hear it or what ?
When you activate it with the button on the dash, the light in the button comes on.

Only works with reverse and with D1 and D2 - up to 18MPH.

rod

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I don't push the VTM-4 buttom, and encountering some slippage, I assume the 4 wheel drive will be engaged, then how can I tell it is engaged ?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
You drive, it works!
Light on dash (not button) will light if something is not working.

·
Registered
166 Posts
With all the snow and ice around here, I can feel when the VTM-4 kicks in. There is a slight slip, then a sudden grab as the wheels starts to get power.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's how I've felt it getting out of my plowed in driveway in D2. I hadn't noticed, but does the little VTM light go on automatically when in regular drive (D) and slippage occurs?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
no

Nope, no indication.

There would be nothing you could do with the information, and good user interface design should try to minimize "unactionable" information.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I haven't noticed any slip before engagement with the VTM-4 system, but I have with the Real-Time 4WD system in my CR-V. Honda did an amazing job on the controls of the clutches in the rear drive axles of the Pilot. It seems to know how much to engage the system of clutches to each rear wheel for the conditions with no jerking or hunting. Honda engineered that out of the system, at least in my Pilot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts