Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing a Pilot or Ridgeline discussion about filling the VTM-4 through the trunk. It might be via a drain plug? I don't see one on my 09. This would be so much easier for me since my hand pump is so slow. Has anyone found a hole of some kind to fit a fill tube? I'm due for changes to VTM-4, ATF, Transfer Case and Oil.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I remove my spare, and there are holes thru the frame, right to the fill and Drain bolts. I got a universal pump at AutoZone, works OK. Are you doing it this way? Getting to them isn't a problem.
It wounds like you want to use gravity to re-fill? Interesting thought. Let us know if you come up with something that we could use too.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I remember seeing a Pilot or Ridgeline discussion about filling the VTM-4 through the trunk. It might be via a drain plug? I don't see one on my 09. This would be so much easier for me since my hand pump is so slow. Has anyone found a hole of some kind to fit a fill tube? I'm due for changes to VTM-4, ATF, Transfer Case and Oil.
Pick this up from local HF to make refilling the VTM-4 super ez. Fill till it leaks out
266A5FB4-9F2E-4153-80DC-4853E46669AE.jpeg

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remove my spare, and there are holes thru the frame, right to the fill and Drain bolts. I got a universal pump at AutoZone, works OK. Are you doing it this way? Getting to them isn't a problem.
It wounds like you want to use gravity to re-fill? Interesting thought. Let us know if you come up with something that we could use too.
Pick this up from local HF to make refilling the VTM-4 super ez. Fill till it leaks out View attachment 146991
If this does an ounce per pump this would be good...even if it means 89 pumps haha

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes gravity is what I'm looking for. It would make it so much easier. I took another look but still can't find any opening, unless it might be under the liner.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Yes gravity is what I'm looking for. It would make it so much easier. I took another look but still can't find any opening, unless it might be under the liner.
Look underneath with a light for a plug in the body?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
Drill a hole in the top of the rear bumper and snake a flexible tube to the rear differential fill port if you want to gravity feed the fluid.😁

The large hand pump mentioned above is what I use.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any thoughts on using these squeeze bottles to fill VTM-4 (or Transfer Case)? Faster or easier than pumps?
71tCV1qFUSL._AC_SL1500_2.jpg

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If that bottle is 16 ounces you’ll be filling it up six times for the rear diff. You might as well get a pump.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that bottle is 16 ounces you’ll be filling it up six times for the rear diff. You might as well get a pump.
It's 32 oz but I figure 4 fillups since you may not be able to get it fully upside down to squeeze it all out. But I think you're right that the pump is better.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Not to mention rear diff fluid and Ketchup have about the same consistency. You don't want to be doing this under you vehicle. That's why fast food places almost always have pumps in their condiment bar.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah pump is the way to go. Plus the front gear oil is even thicker even tho it's only 14+ oz.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
I like your pump but for a dollar more the HF has a few more features: barbed end to stay in the fill hole, hose hanger on pump handle and possibly more pump per stroke LOL but either should do the job.
Hey, I didn't care about the pump, it was just cheaper than the can't beat deal. :LOL:

This is the pump I have used for years. Mityvac.
More expensive, but good for pumping fluids higher distances.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Another vote for hand pump. I tried for years not to use one and made unholy messes. Yes, I get tired of pumping 10 million times but it's the cleanest way to do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts