Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 pilot and the vtm-4 light is on.
Here are the previous symptoms...sometimes it would go into limp mode ....no one codes or flashing d lght... nothing.
I would reset it and it would be fine and then ome day just do it again...very sporadic sometimes multiple times a day sometimes nothing for a week or even two months.
Occasionally I'd get a cel said torque converter lock up and I'd reset and fiine..
Latest thing happen on a roadtrip going at about 75 miles down the road and doing speeds of past 85mph it just started smoking and slipping and I pulled over there was fluid all over the top. I tracked it down to a loose banjo bolt on top of the trans going to the cooler. I tightened it and drained completely and refilled to 3.5 qt dextron vi and ran perfect for 35 miles and vtm light popped on....another 50 miles over temp light came on and slipped so I let cool and vtm light stayed on after reset and my bank 1 02 sensor code is on and erased and comes on immediately at start....drained the fluid and put 3.5qt and the vtm-4 light will not go off ..
Checking the fluid....the dipstick seems useless...fluid turns immediately dark red but not burnt smelling or too dark..
When I pull it out....no fluid ever stays in the two holes on the stick but its thick under the holes and then there is fluid well above the holes.
Same as with my 2005 pilot.
All I know is I drain complete on level surface and then refill 3.5qt dextron vi and the vtm-4 light comes on immediately no matter what and the fluid overheats after about 75miles of driving at 75mph....
Fluid doesnt appear burnt or ariated...
No cel codes no leaks I have right amount....people say if all 4 wheels are active itll make a noise upon turning....I dont get resistance turning....
Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Maybe the fluid- I don’t think dexron works for Honda transmissions. Maybe do the 4x drain and fills with Honda OEM fluid or the valvoline maxlife atf. Good luck!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
Vtm4 is in the rear differential. Only used Honda vim 4 fluid nothing else

automatic transmission fluid either Honda brand for the specific transmission or max life or redline d4.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
The OP is kind of confusing a bit. The cooler banjo leaked, so he drained and refilled w/ dextron- in the tranny? Then the vtm4 light? drained and refilled w/ vtn-4 fluid?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Dexron tranny fluid shouldn’t be used.
Get the codes read with a Honda specific reader so you know what you’re dealing with.
Draining the tranny fluid 1x only removes about a third of existing fluid. You will never get 100% clean fluid with drain and fills. 3x or 4x drain and fills is the point of diminishing returns.
Use OEM or Valvoline MaxLife tranny fluid.
If you change rear differential fluid only use VTM-4 Honda or Acura fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts