Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me (cause Im a little different), but when I'm on the on ramp, or passing someone, and the VETC kicks in I get this s... eating grin on my face. :D . Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Is that a PILOT pictures in your avatar ... Looks like its been lowered and rims added ... ?

PrG

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know that feeling. When I first booted it at about 500 miles from 40 to get on the highway from the on ramp it just got up and went.
I looked at my wife in dismay and she said simply, "rocket ship". She had told me of this happening to her quite by mistake at about 400 miles .

Great SUV this Honda Pilot.

#09131 SS EX

·
Registered
236 Posts
VTEC

Those VTEC engines are AWESOME. My old vehicle was an Integra GS-R. Did not redline until 8200 RPM's.

Once you hit 6,000, it made a sound that only angels could make. Most cars at that spin level scream to be turned off. The GS-R begged to be run all the way to redline.

You could take third gear all the way to 95 MPH!!!

I really miss that car. However, it was almost 9 years old and time for a change. Besides, I love my Pilot!

·
Registered
310 Posts
mugen660 said:
Maybe it's just me (cause Im a little different), but when I'm on the on ramp, or passing someone, and the VETC kicks in I get this s... eating grin on my face. :D . Anyone else?
How long should I wait for the break in period before I can try this thrilling activity for myself?

·
Registered
34 Posts
vtec is pretty fun, yeah. i'm used to lots of torque down low from my audi, no real need to rev it too high most the time. its fun to rev the pilot up real good on onramps and passing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't wait to long. I started kicking it in after like 1000 miles. Don't know if that o.k. or not. :8:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyone know at what RPM is the VTEC on the Pilot will kick in? I'm still driving my pilot around 2000rpm or keep my top speed of 65-70 mph.

My 99 accord will kick in around 3000-3500 rpm. :p

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm pretty sure that VTEC kicks in at 4k. I read it somewhere, but can't remember now. Can anyone confirm this?

Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
VTEC at 4k RPM

That a bit too high. :2:

I assume the VTEC will kick in somewhere around 3k/3.5k RPM. The Pilot cruised in a very low RPM ~ 2k RPM = 70mph. Totally different that my accord. My accord cruised at 2.5k RPM = 70 mph.

In theory, I should be able to activate VTEC on my accord more easily. With Pilot, I will be :23: before the VTEC kick in....

·
Registered
310 Posts
mugen660 said:
OK. With about 1300 miles on the Pilot, I finally tried it today while entering an on ramp. I was a little bit tentative and babied it too much, but the effect was cool nonetheless.

What a difference from my old '92 Explorer!:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
My car has more than 500 miles now. I think the break in period should be over.

I planning a trip down to NYC this weekend. Hopefully I will get some chance to fell the VTEC on the highway. Especially when passing those big truck....

:2:

·
Registered
481 Posts
We recently test drove an Envoy XL (can I say that here on this list???) and a Pilot on successive days.

Much more punch in the Pilot, even with the AC on.

Impressive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I will see what it sounds like but I have not yet heard and more beautiful sound of Vtec engaging then my 99si. With the AEM intake on, once vtec engages it literally SCREAMS. I have had my car since march of 99 and I still kick it in vtec a ton!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE on ramps :) !
Later,
Pat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Question, I noticed people saying they wouldn't kick the vtec in until the car was broken in after abuot 1000 miles. Maybe I've been given in the wrong information in the past, but I was always told when your breaking a engine in, you want to punch the accelerator from time to time. I was always told it was worse breaking a engine in if you drive at highway speeds for long times without accelerating. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
111 Posts
joshr said:
vtec is pretty fun, yeah. i'm used to lots of torque down low from my audi, no real need to rev it too high most the time. its fun to rev the pilot up real good on onramps and passing.
joshr, I must say you have impeccable taste in vehicles!
I know exactly what you mean :7:

---
03 Pilot EX-L SS w/RB
01 Audi S4 (Santorin/Onyx 6 speed)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I like it. Now if my gas mileage would just feel the same...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Cleverstupidity

I was always told when your breaking a engine in, you want to punch the accelerator from time to time. I was always told it was worse breaking a engine in if you drive at highway speeds for long times without accelerating
Actually you are correct that you should not go at freeway speeds for a long time or even at any other speed. The reason being is that the seals need to get properly broken in and settled. Now as for punching it I am not sure what to saym I guess to each their own, For example my Honda Tech told me on my 99 SI to go for it right out of the box so I did and I do not have any types of problems. Since this is a bit more expensive I am not going to chance anything but if this is the way you have doen the break in you should be fine!!
Later,
Pat

1 - 20 of 27 Posts