Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
And this right here is why I do all my own work and inspections.

The service department failed to identify a well known issue that honestly should be inspected on every vehicle that comes in, given the consequences.
My service advisor at the local dealer told me the other weekwhen I inquired that they haven't seen many spool valve leaks before. So they aren't checking because they apparently don't even know. More profitable for them to wait to ruin the alternator I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 EX-L same. Alternator died. Spoke to a few Honda parts stores around Tri State NJ/PA/DE hunting for OEM alternators and was told that I should probably check whether it's leaking from the spool valve onto the alternator. I'm going for the gaskets before putting alternator in to keep it oil free.

·
Registered
213 Posts
that napa part is not correct for the 2009 - different shape, etc. for the spool valve. Maybe it is for a different location on the engine. Autokay part# 15815-R70-A01 and 15845-R70-A01 ($20 shipped on amazon) worked for my application.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 touring...can anyone point me in the right direction for which gasket to get? Just looking for the seal. Oil is leaking onto the alternator

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
37 Posts
There are quite a number of vids in YouTube now that we know which part we are looking for.

This kind of oil housing gasket will fail in most vehicles when the car ages. I have seen and read about it in other brands of vehicles.

If i had to do mine, I'd go ahead and replace the whole VTEC solenoid activator instead of just replacing the gasket, unless you do not plan on keeping the SUV for long.

I'd also make sure I clean the oil of the area while I'm there.

·
Registered
586 Posts
So I finally got around to cleaning up the grime near my spool valve and dipstick in order to check to see if my spool valve is indeed leaking. There was lots of grime there so I couldn't tell if there was an active leak. This photo was taken about a week after cleaning that area with brake cleaner and spaying some white leak tracing powder. Just posting in this spool valve thread since it is has the most posts so others know what to look for.

20191216_000048.jpg

·
Registered
586 Posts
For comparison, this is what a clean spool valve looks like. I got the entire spool valve replaced at the dealer since they were able to get it covered under my extended power train warranty. My deductible is $100. They cleaned up the old oil from the block and reused the same mounting bolts.

If that hadn't been approved under warranty, then I would likely have gone the $20 gasket DIY route.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Is this part # correct for a 2010 Honda Pilot too:

Autokay part# 15815-R70-A01 and 15845-R70-A01
Yes those are the part numbers, but not Autokay - that's just a chinese vendor/brand on Amazon. If I were buying the spool valve gaskets today I'd probably buy this one:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes those are the part numbers, but not Autokay - that's just a chinese vendor/brand on Amazon. If I were buying the spool valve gaskets today I'd probably buy this one:

Thanks boom!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts