Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 with 199,000 miles.

The tensioner failed, the timing belt jumped and the rear valves were all bent. Lost compression etc. Our mechanic sent the rear cylinder head to his local machine shop for repair.

All parts have been reassembled and double-checked. However, the mechanic is having a problem. The VTEC is activated all the time on the rear bank. The front is fine.

No OBD2 codes, but every cylinder on the backside of the engine is misfiring.

Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Are you saying that the ECU constantly sends the signal to the VTEC solenoid?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You said that VTEC is on but you did not state why. Is it due to an oil problem or an electrical problem? Is your ECU telling the VTEC solenoid to be turned on all the time or is the solenoid off but VTEC still on?

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said that VTEC is on but you did not state why. Is it due to an oil problem or an electrical problem?
(I could be wrong as I'm getting updates via texts).

I think the mechanic does not know if it is an oil or electrical problem.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Oh, shit, he is one of THOSE mechanics... It could be a mechanical problem with the VTEC as well - the 3d option.
I have a very bad feeling about this repair situation as I just had been in a very similar one myself.
When you begin troubleshooting the car FOR your mechanic it is time to cut the line. Could he at the very least take a voltmeter and measure the volts on the solenoid plug?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could he at the very least take a voltmeter and measure the volts on the solenoid plug?
Thanks, will enquire.

I'm happy with the mechanic. I take the stance that the wisdom on these forums exceeds any single mechanic, including dealership techs and I have some free time to post as I'm interested in this challenge.

I'm hoping someone will say they had the exact same issue and did x,y& z.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Bottom line is that if you read 12V (or short to the ground depending on how it is activated - I tried to find info on p. 11-305 of the FSM but it did not say anything about electric) on the rear solenoid plug but not on the front, then it is an electrical problem with the ECU or wiring.
If you do not and VTEC is still on then the solenoid may be stuck open due to whatever the shop did. Take the solenoid off then and see if anything is amiss. Does it open and close when powered and stuff like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts