Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a vehicle with stability control (such as the 03 MDX)? Is the Pilot handicapped by its omission?

The Volvo XC90 claims its systems is the first to help prevent rollovers. Does that mean other SUV competitors' s anti-skid systems do not help in preventing rollovers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The width of the Pilot helps in the stability area. It also helps in the 'door ding' area. I got two already.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Dude the XC90 is ugly...looks like a volvo station wagon....!!!:D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ramirami said:
Dude the XC90 is ugly...looks like a volvo station wagon....!!!:D
Yeah, I agree. I just saw one on the road over the weekend. The first thing I asked myself was, "which station wagon is that?" Then, I got closer, I realized it was the XC90.

Also, it looks to be lower than your average SUV, which I'm sure helps with the anti-rollover feature with its lower center of gravity. For that money, I'd rather get the MDX. Wait a minute, I'd still have money left over.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
dchinny said:
...The Volvo XC90 claims its systems is the first to help prevent rollovers. Does that mean other SUV competitors' s anti-skid systems do not help in preventing rollovers?
The XC90 has a low slung engine to help lower the center of gravity. It is also the first "SUV" to have an active Roll Stability Control (RSC) system.

In addition to the standard stability control, this system uses a gyroscopic sensor to determine the car's roll speed and angle. If a dangerous situation is detected the system will actually apply braking to the individual wheels and reduce engine power if necessary.

I guess the next step would be auto-pilot.

...yeah it does look like a taller station wagon, and from what I've seen, it's not near as roomy as the Pilot

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
dchinny said:
Is there a government agency that tests cars for rollover likelihood?
Yes, but they use static formulas so it is about as accurate as their MPG numbers.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Any recommendations on some more detailed material comparing stability assist and control systems available on different cars? I've heard that some European systems (not just Volvo's) are more aggressive and more effective than others but I'd like to learn more.

Also, is it possible to have stability assist or control systems without also having ABS?

TIA!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Re: VSA - skid / stability control systems

tim.s said:
The XC90 has a low slung engine to help lower the center of gravity. It is also the first "SUV" to have an active Roll Stability Control (RSC) system.

...yeah it does look like a taller station wagon, and from what I've seenm, it's not near as roomy as the Pilot
Before we bough our Pilot, we test-drove an XC90. This was only because this would be the only time we could drive one.
My impressions of the interior were that it was much more luxurious, and well appointed, but you could see the seat tracks on the floor, and the car we drove's third row of seats didn't unfold.
Also, it is lower to the ground to make the front bumper closer to the bumper in cars in the event of a head on collision.

I personally think that the front of the XC90 is pretty, but the back looks fudged, especially in the dark with the brake lights on.

EDR

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had a brief ride in an 04 MDX a few weeks ago. My in-laws were in the market for a new vehicle, and really liked my Pilot. BUT it was important to have the moonroof and other higher end features the Pilot didn't really offer. So I took them to test drive the MDX.

My father-in-law took it down a snow covered road with a cul-de-sac at the end. He WHIPPED the steering wheel back and forth HARD trying to the the X to break loose on the snowy road. It didn't. I feel the back end of my Pilot would have come right around in that case. The MDX is definately more sure-footed on slippery roads.

That can be partially attributed to the vehicle stability control.

There's also a stiffer suspension and 17" wheels / Michelin Cross Terrains that contribute to the better handling.

My Pilot felt soft on the ride home from the Acura dealer....... :(

The Pilot still handles much better than most SUV's. I do think it would benefit from stability control. (But not so much that I really worry about it.)

(They did buy the MDX that day)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmm, you know, this topic is making me think.

Just yesterday a friend of a friend of mine crashed and totalled her Pilot. I don't know all the details but the Pilot rolled over. The cop supposedly said the Pilot made skidmarks consistent with "braking hard then turning sharply"

Does this make sense to you all? Why would a Pilot show straight skidmarks? What about the ABS?

Just after the accident she was raving on how the Pilot protected her, she sustained no injuries whatsoever. But now I think she's questioning why it rolled.

I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Will_Pilot said:
Hmm, you know, this topic is making me think.

Just yesterday a friend of a friend of mine crashed and totalled her Pilot. I don't know all the details but the Pilot rolled over. The cop supposedly said the Pilot made skidmarks consistent with "braking hard then turning sharply"

Does this make sense to you all? Why would a Pilot show straight skidmarks? What about the ABS?

Just after the accident she was raving on how the Pilot protected her, she sustained no injuries whatsoever. But now I think she's questioning why it rolled.

I'll post a pic.
How fast was she going?
What did she hit, or was it just a rollover?
Was it wet or icy?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Will_Pilot said:
...Does this make sense to you all? Why would a Pilot show straight skidmarks? What about the ABS?...
Even with ABS you can leave skidmarks.

(Looks like it's been raining there, was it wet when she rolled?)

·
Registered
120 Posts
tim.s said:
Even with ABS you can leave skidmarks.

(Looks like it's been raining there, was it wet when she rolled?)
Actually the weather has been perfect. The limited info I have now is that she was not at fault, and had to swerve to avoid hitting two other cars.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I saw an accident involving a Cadillac and a fence today. It was at a traffic light, and it appeared as if the Cadillac had swerved off the road (possibly to avoid cars stopped at the light) and into a fence nearby. The Cadillac did not appear damaged, although the fence was totalled.:D
Also, the Cadillac swerved into the snow and appeared to be stuck there. Just goes to show you to be careful, no matter what the weather!

EDR

·
Registered
23 Posts
rollover

I'm not sure whether ABS or VSA would have prevented the Pilot from trolling over if she made an abrupt turn while braking. I would think these systems are meant to keep the vehicle going in a straight line while breaking or unintentionally skidding. If she was still going at enough speed and changed direction suddenly, physics would takeover and a rollover would ensue even if the ABs was engaged unless she was riding a gokart or something with a very low center of gravity. Perhaps the question to ask is what caused her to make that sharp turn?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts