Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

VSA- reason to disable

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Maritime 
#1 ·
I have an '06 w VSA. I have seen recommendations to disable VSA. Should I? What's the reason? Runs fine but uses oil and engine is noisier than it should be.

#3 ·
Don't disable the VSA unless you're stuck and want to get unstuck. Keep it engaged for regular driving, especially in slippery mud, gravel and snow conditions.

If your '06 is FWD, then those models have VCM. That you can disable with a a VCMuzzler to preclude engine woes.

#5 ·
VCM - Variable Cylinder Management. It shuts down cylinders at high speed to conserve fuel. The problem is that Honda's first couple years of using it had a lot of issues, mainly with burning oil. Honda semi-acknowledges the problem, but will never officially do anything because if they did, and allowed you to disable VCM then they would have to re-calculate their MPG and fuel economy and lose a bunch of respect and/or fail to meet regulations.

Enter VCMuzzler. If you want to disable VCM permanently, install this.

--Chris N.

#6 ·
In My 2011 the VCM is currently active but I have a VCM Muzzler in the mail as we speak. I've had the truck from 130K KM's and have put 28K on it now and I've noticed that the VCM is getting less and less smooth, when we first got the truck, I'd have a hard time knowing without looking that the VCM engaged, 10-15K KM's ago I could feel it and know, last week it started a bit a of a vibration when engaging a some noise so I ordered the muzzler. I feel if I don't shut it off I will start to see the oil issues, and start fouling plugs etc. I'm not taking chances. the truck was babied by a retired couple before we found it and we are an active family with kids, pets and toys. Haul a pop up etc and all this will be better without the VCM IMHO. My wife also has a 250 KM round trip commute so miles pile on quick.

#7 ·
While you're at it, you might want to check the spark plugs and replace them if fouled.

#9 ·
Stupid me, or my phone, not sure which screwed up but the VCMuzzler I ordered was the previous gen model by mistake. I went to check the shipping and noticed it didn't look right. I think my phone screen jumped and it buy it now'd the wrong one. Anyway caught it and the seller hadn't shipped yet so he's going to swap out to the right one and send it instead. Few! didn't need to return it and re-do. It would have been a wasted trip to ME to get the thing, see it didn't fit then have to send it back and wait. I hate the mobile ebay. got to not use it and stick to the PC. This is the second time the mobile site hiccuped and frigged up an order. last time was a $2.00 3d printer part and I just ordered another.

#10 ·
Glad you caught it before it shipped out. I also prefer doing my online shopping on a computer rather than on a phone whenever I can. Plus, phone stuff is getting smaller and smaller for my old eyes. ?

#11 ·
+1 on the eyes. Hit 45 and it's all down hill LOL. I hate most mobile apps vs real websites. I generally shop at work, or kick the kid off the PC at home but I had been bidding on a used VCM and lost, got the notice on my phone and just said F it and pulled the trigger on the full price on I was watching, but there was a choice between years on the screen and it jumped when I hit the button and the buy it now didn't show the info and I had clicked the one for 2006-2008 which is a different connector I guess. Seller was good about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.