Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the same problem. My wife called me Friday morning and said the engine was running rough and that the engine light was flashing had her take it to the shop and they ran codes said the coil pack was out on number 2 cylinder when I picked it up I noticed that the vsa off light was on and pushing the button would not turn it back on they ran the codes again and didn't find anything. What exactly do I need to have done and can any shop do it or just Honda?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Cyber,
Did you ever resolve your VSA off problem? I have the same issue after my local shop replaced my brakes and rotors. Grrrr.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Honda Pilot. Had tires replaced about two months ago and about one month ago had driven about one mile from the office when Traction Control Off light and 4wd lock lights came on. Pulled over turned off vehicle 4wd light went off, drove about 10 miles that light came on again then went off, but traction control light has remained on. Took to shop and had catalytic converter and engine misfire codes (one cylinder); converter, plugs and coil replaced but traction control off light has remained off. Just this past week took to the Honda Dealership purchased from (I had talked with them by phone and they indicated that with engine misfire it was a common issue for this light to come on, and that Honda software may be necessary to clear), they hooked up to their system, but the light did not go off and no error codes were thrown. Mechanic said he had not seen that before, thought the system "probably" working okay but that I might want to figure it out before bad weather. Vehicle continues to drive fine, 202,000 miles (mostly highway), but would like to know if I have an issue or not and how to turn off the light. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need VSA help. Just got my 2014 Pilot back from the body shop. VSA light is staying on, button doesn't turn it off. VTM doesn't seem to activate when button is pushed. Shop said they didn't jack the vehicle or remove wheel. It was minor rear bumper repair. VSA fuses look good. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to perform a Neutral memorization procedure on all sensors in Abs control unit with autel 908P scan tool, made my traction system function back to normal

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 with the same issue. I went to a dealer because I had a check engine light. They scanned it , looked at the code and advised timing belt, it was due so that made sense. I scheduled service. As I was leaving I noticed the VSA light on. I kept trying to hit the button, no luck. I later had the service done. picked up my pilot and the light was still stuck on. I returned to the dealer and was told that no code was on and they did not know what the issue is.
I am wondering if there is a connection issue between the module and the switch .
I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to verify is VSA is actually on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did a quick scan and could not find, so I suspect my search terms might be bad. Have also done some searching on Google and haven't found anything useful yet.

I have a 2012 EX-L with aftermarket tow harness (that is currently disconnected) and the VSA (Stability Control) light on the IP is on and stays on from start. Pressing the VSA button on the left of the steering wheel does nothing. It has been on for at least the past 10 months, every time I drive.

Have had this at the dealership and they have no idea and have already charged a $125 diag fee with zero results. At first they thought it was my tow wiring (CURT), so I unplugged it (about 2 months ago) and the light is still on. It has been weeks since it was unplugged. Light was never on before and I had the same tow wiring on there for the past 18 months. Do not recall anything happening that preceded this problem.

As stated, car has been in and even did a software update for other issue (CEL light intermittently came on due to EGR issues) and that is now fixed. No other lights on, not even intermittently.

Ideas? Anyone experienced this?

Thanks!
OK, this is actually a quite normal issue and I dont know why so many people and even techs at shops have trouble simply READING the manuals.

Anyway. The ABS/Traction system doesnt ONLY use wheel speed sensors. It also needs to know weight distribution, turning velocity, accel and decel rate currently...
These cant be preprogrammed as they vary by how much weight and where in the car that weight currently is positioned multiplied by current speed and turning angle. SO, you have special sensors for this. After a battery loses power or if a problem occurs that resets the system (defective alternator can cause this with AC ripple spikes) the sensors must be relearned so the traction control system can safely do its thing. The name for this is NEUTRAL INITIALIZATION (Toyota calls it YAW relearn, Mercedes has their own term...many cars require it). Typically its done with a scantool, you go to special functions and there is a selection for it and you follow the instructions and it takes 10 seconds and poof its done. Perhaps the problem is so many of the "enhanced" tools out there dont have that one feature in them despite having codes and data and solenoid activations...they missed the relearn? I know for a fact the latest SnapOn DOES NOT DO IT on my 2012 Pilot.(SnapOn is by FAR the most popular and one of the best all around scantools in the world despite what egoists say, it just doesnt do neutral learn on my pilot...sigh).
No problem as I have 3 others that do (Launch and Autoland and Autel...I test tools for companies). Also the factory HDS tool of course does it.

Still stuck?

OK. There is a manual way to do it without a scanner. IT DOES NOT WORK ON ALL CARS! The newer the car the less likely. But heres the manual procedure from Honda:

1. Clear any other codes that are stored in ABS/VSA/any other system and then perform the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) pressure sensor neutral position memorization procedure using HDS. To perform the memorization procedure without a scan tool, start by having the key off and ground the SCS circuit at the Data Link Connector (DLC) with a scan tool (this means grounding the SCS circuit - Brown wire in pin 9 of the DLC - with a jumper wire to ground).

2 Park vehicle on level ground with steering wheel centered and wheels in the straight ahead position, Vehicle gear should be in P/N. If all conditions are met, cycle key OFF.

NOTE: the following steps have a time limit, make sure you are ready for subsequent steps or you may fall out of time allowance and Neutral initialization will fail.

Then turn the ignition switch on; do not depress the brakes.

The ABS indicator comes on for 2 seconds and goes off.

PRESS AND RELEASE VSA OFF SWITCH ONCE WITHIN .5 SECONDS IMMEDIATELY AFTER ABS LAMP TURNS OFF! (Be Quick!).

The ABS indicator will turn back on

Push the VSA OFF switch once within 0.5 seconds after the ABS indicator comes back on.

The VSA activation indicator blinks and the system starts pressure sensor neutral position memorization.
When the ABS indicator, VSA indicator and VSA activation indicator go off, the memorization is complete.
If the indicators do not go off, try the procedure again.

2. Clear the code, test drive the vehicle and see if the code returns.

3. In some of the newer Honda vehicles, a scan tool must be used to perform this procedure.

I recommend the scantool, its easier and doesnt require quickness or watching bulbs flash at you. But, you have all I can give for free on a forum so that people who normally pay me for being a master and fixing stuff other people dont know how to fix, can then fix it themselves and allow my children to starve and me to be fired for lack of work then Ill not be able to pay for internet and ever be able to post help again...

EVERYTHING can be fixed.Find a good honest shop local to you, pay them a fair wage, and life will be good for everyone.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts