Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice...

2006 EX-L NAVI...216kmi

For a good while now===, both the VSA and triangle lights stay lit - the triangle light is on immediately after starting the car and the VAS light comes on after driving for maybe 2-3 minutes and stays on. Dealer has said that the VSA module in no good and gave me a price of $1800. $1500 of which was for the part itself.

Based on that quote, it sounds like there isn't much labor to replace it. Is this just a part swap out or is there any grooming / calibrating that needs to be done? Or is the age of the car not worth that repair?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
Did the dealer tell you the specific codes? Post them here if you have them and if performing the reset procedure doesn’t clear the issue.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the dealer tell you the specific codes? Post them here if you have them and if performing the reset procedure doesn’t clear the issue.
I'm pretty sure that they didn't give me any specific codes. Is there a way to try and read them myself. I am using BlueDriver for the OBD2 reader.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
If your code reader supports Honda specific codes, then you should be able to read them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A while back my VSA, triangle, and ABS lights kept coming on. My mechanic ended up diagnosing it as a weak battery. My Pilot was not having any trouble starting or running so I thought it was a bit strange, but a new battery solved the problem. Your problem might not have the same cause, but it's easy enough to check the battery/alternator to make sure they are working properly.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
734 Posts
I'm pretty sure that they didn't give me any specific codes. Is there a way to try and read them myself. I am using BlueDriver for the OBD2 reader.
BlueDriver read my codes on 2005 Pilot. Will also reset them.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Before spending that kind of money, I would try the reset procedure first. I posted it here:08 EX Resurrection
Told ya to post 'em in case someone wanted to play along at home. :)

Some have had luck with just disconnecting the battery negative for about a half hour, then reconnecting it. Otherwise...

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
404 Posts
When I disconnected my battery, it would come back within 100 feet of driving. It took the hard reset to get rid of it. It's still gone 20 miles later. I thought I saw the procedure here, though I took it from the TSX board.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Here's the procedure, from following the breadcrumbs of my links :) :

I fixed the problem today after searching around on the Honda-Tech forums about an Accord with a similar issue. I copied and pasted the resolution below, but it doesn't explain using a paper clip to jump the 4 and 9 pins on the obdII connector. You need to check the standard numbering scheme and orientation of your OBD connector. I had it flip flopped the first time. Once you have the paper clip jumping the 4 and 9 pins turn on the key and watch the ABS light Mine blinked 8 times and then 4 times...Code 84 TCS Neutral position needed reset.

Then do this

RESOLUTION:

But few days ago I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear ABS errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (should already be done if you initially checked for Code 84)
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

TCS neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4 (should already be done if you just erased your codes)
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts