Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Pilot 2wd and the VSA kicks on randomly... at highway speed, idling, whether the switch is on or off. I even pulled the VSA fuses and it still seems to kick on for no reason. It is dangerous as the vsa and triangle warning light come on, it seems to abruptly brake, downshift, and completely lose power (very scary at highway speeds). You can reset but turning the car on and off but not fun pulling on side of highway to do this.

I have read it was a recalled issue for some 2006 vehicles but checked my VIN and it does not appear to be covered.

I have 315k miles on it and will not invest much to remedy this.. is something causing the issue (bad ABS sensor, something else?
Any suggestions are appreciated- have not contacted the dealer yet.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts
While it could be an ABS sensor (can you pull any codes?), when was the last time you put in fresh (OEM only) VTM-4 fluid?

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
It is also possible to try resetting the code (not just by turning off the engine, as it will usually come back on like that), with one of three methods, if there isn't something else underlying the issue (often ABS sensor, as mentioned).

How Do You Clear VSA Dash Lights with a Foxwell NT630...

1. dealer$hip's HD$ (Honda's Dollar-Sucking) machine
  2. OBD2 port pin jumping (free, but careful not to short circuit by mistake Traction control light causing VSA system light 2007 Pilot
  3. a Foxwell NT630 Plus scan tool (what I have gone with) How Do You Clear VSA Dash Lights with a Foxwell NT630...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While it could be an ABS sensor (can you pull any codes?), when was the last time you put in fresh (OEM only) VTM-4 fluid?
Thanks plplplpl- I don;t have a code reader unfortunately. We potentially never changed the VTM-4 fluid so maybe we will start there and go to the pin jump from there... seems odd it kicks on even with the VSA fuses removed(?)

·
Registered
301 Posts
He mentions it's a 2wd in first post so he will not have VTM-4. VSA on 2wd can be effected by the TPMS system as well. We had an issue with it not being able to be disabled on our CRV of the same generation when there was a broken TPMS sensor. Made for no fun will winter driving as you couldn't spin the tires to get up hills and out of deep snow.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Could be a wheel speed sensor?

Otherwise given the mileage, I'd ignore it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - I would love to ignore it but it is not just the light.. it impacts the max speed, shifting, acceleration- scared to drive it on the highway.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
I have a 2006 Pilot 2wd
OH geez, how could I have missed that?

That said, if there isn't a TPMS light on as well, I'd be more inclined to guess ABS or wheel sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vtm-4 exists in a 2wd veh right(?) prior post indicated no getting confused(!) :unsure:

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Vtm-4 exists in a 2wd veh right(?) prior post indicated no getting confused(!) :unsure:
Nope, not at all. Edited to correct. I just seem to have a hard time wrapping my brain around a non-4WD Pilot, no offense. Mea culpa.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
I don’t recall the model years affected by a VSA related recall, but there was one that affected 2005 related to the VSA system going into action suddenly without provocation.

I’ll do some digging inc a search here.

edit: Found the recall which extenddd into 2006 Braking issue and recall!!!...

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts