Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned all three generations of Pilot, currently a 2019 AWD Touring. I recently rented a Highlander XLE AWD for a family vacation in the mountains. I ended up driving about 650 miles mixed highway and town. Ive had my pilot in the same locations and I was missing my Pilot big time. The Toyota transmission is clunky especially when climbing and descending hills. It would frequently downshift and run at 4000 rpm with cruise control on. I expected this to be better than the Pilot's 9 speed but it just wasn't at all. The central display is much better organized on the pilot although carplay worked identically. The steering wheel controls are a hot mess compared to the pilot. On Toyota you have volume on the left side and track on the right under the cruise control. I love how Honda puts all the audio controls on one side and the cruise on the other. The dash on the Toyota looks like a malignant tumor with bumps and lobes sticking everywhere. The pIlot dash looks so sleek comparatively. If you are using the 3rd row the 2nd row seats have almost no leg room. The pilot is so much roomier and has better cargo space. I tried adjusting the seat every which way but I could never make the drivers seat as comfortable as the pilot. There is no center arm rests on the Toyota - you are expected to use the center console which isnt padded well for my bony elbow. Gas mileage was 22.3 for the highway portion of the trip in the Toyota. I did the same trip last summer in the Pilot and I got 25.8 and was using the A/C. Eco mode was on for both. The ride in the Pilot is much smoother on the highway - the Toyota rides much more like a truck.

One thing I did like on the Toyota were the slots in the center console and above the glove box. Perfect place to store a phone. I also appreciated that Toyota includes a mix of USB-A and USB-C charging ports. I felt like Toyotas Lane Keeping cruise control did a little bit better job staying centered. Without cruise control, the alert is annoying and repetitive beeping when you leave your lane without a turn signal. The pilot is less irritating.

For me there is no comparison. For typical family driving, the Pilot is a superior car in just about every way.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts