Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do you not leave the engine cover on your pilot?

I feel like car engines are designed to look nice for the kind of people who look under the hood and have no idea what's in there. Instead of exposing the stuff so a person can see it and obviously have no clue, they just cover it all up so the person looks in and doesn't have to see anything they don't understand.

Like you look and see a black box of mystery that somehow makes your car go.

At least on my Mazda it's also ducting to push air into the intercooler.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How many D&Fs have you done total?

I did one with DW1 maybe at 100,000, probably the first time it had been done, got it used at 93k. The plug was pretty full of magnetic shavings and I was a little concerned.

Done two more since and switched to VML, the plug comes out very clean now.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Do you not leave the engine cover on your pilot?

I feel like car engines are designed to look nice for the kind of people who look under the hood and have no idea what's in there. Instead of exposing the stuff so a person can see it and obviously have no clue, they just cover it all up so the person looks in and doesn't have to see anything they don't understand.

Like you look and see a black box of mystery that somehow makes your car go.

At least on my Mazda it's also ducting to push air into the intercooler.
Lol, This deco is in my way. IMO, It also holds heat in, baking my wiring.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Some vehicles have a weighted cover that helps with NVH.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
739 Posts
How many D&Fs have you done total?

I did one with DW1 maybe at 100,000, probably the first time it had been done, got it used at 93k. The plug was pretty full of magnetic shavings and I was a little concerned.

Done two more since and switched to VML, the plug comes out very clean now.
I lost my ATF connection to radiator and lost fluid- I’m guessing all of it at 213k miles. Had a local shop replace radiator (2005 Pilot Syndrome 😂) and fluid. I had no idea of what ATF they used and now that I’m able to do my own DIY I want to know what’s in there. So now after 3 D&F’s I’m pretty close. Next will be Engine coolant.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
While VTEC technology is a great thing when it is used as originally designed....
View attachment 151170
VTEC technology was turned into VCM on Pilots, so for that reason VTEC = VCM = 💩
They even have the nerve to advertise it as something great on our engine cover. Engine covers make great homes for spiders.
View attachment 151171
Is that your Pilot? If so....man she is Clean at Engine Compartment!! Congratulations 😊👍👍
It’s on the Pilot To Do List for me- are you using Purple Power to degrease? What are you putting on the plastics and wiring?
Thanks in advance 👍

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Is that your Pilot? If so....man she is Clean at Engine Compartment!! Congratulations 😊👍👍
It’s on the Pilot To Do List for me- are you using Purple Power to degrease? What are you putting on the plastics and wiring?
Thanks in advance 👍
No. Not mine. Its a manual shift Accord.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Next will be Engine coolant.
Maybe you would like to discuss Coolant in this thread? Would you dare go green? :p

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Maybe you would like to discuss Coolant in this thread? Would you dare go green? :p
It’s green Now! I don’t know what they put in. It doesn’t over heat and operating temps are around 190 degs according to my live data:
Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Gadget

Attachments

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
That temp was 95deg day and Full AC. I have noticed that my temps were around 208-212 before I discovered that only my Condenser Fan was operating and No AC working!! Now.... much better IMHO since I replaced the rad fan motor $202. Yep- OEM

·
Registered
334 Posts
All the black plastic is pretty easy to keep clean though.

I do clean my engine bay, I use Meguiar's and any of their plastic polish/cleaner works great. Their products all smell really nice, a big factor for why I use them, and I feel like it helps the interior smell better too, with all the air flowing into the cabin from/through/around the engine.

I live in an urban area so the car doesn't get all that dirty but If I do wash the engine area I use the bucket of car wash after I've washed my car and just wash it like I wash my car. And polish the plastic after.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Certainly so in my BMW. Not so much in Honda's.
Which is funny because an inline 6 should running well should be one of the smoothest engines needing the least amount of counterbalancing and what-not. Unless yours has a turbo 4, then yes... those tractor engines will rattle your teeth out without help.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Which is funny because an inline 6 should running well should be one of the smoothest engines needing the least amount of counterbalancing and what-not. Unless yours has a turbo 4, then yes... those tractor engines will rattle your teeth out without help.
Yes, it's a turbo.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts