Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is too young to operate a remote and my wife is tired of having to lean backwards to navigate my daughter's DVD menus.

Up to now I have re-menued some of the DVD's to do auto-play but this takes time. Yes, you can play your own DVDs if they are DVD-R. The process isn't hard, just time consuming and material for a different thread.

What I want to do know is add a lcd screen to the passenger sun visor. I have a couple of questions about this process. Does anyone make a lcd visor that has external brightness, contrast controls and keeps the vanity mirror and lights?

Second, where is the best place to tie into my factory RES system for the video? I've seen a couple of pictures that people have sent that show visor type LCD screens but no instructions for installing into a Pilot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I started a thread last fall about putting video output up in the front passenger side. My thought was to put a video out jack that you could have in the glove box and then attach an LCD screen that could be held in the lap or propped in the glove box. You can hide it this way since I think it is illegal to have in the front seat and you wont lose the visor mirror. I haven't tried it yet.

Someone posted a link to the odyclub site where a guy posted pictures of his visor LCD install. He had to cut the plastic visor extender (no big loss) and of course lost the mirror. He had to buy a manual to tell him which wire to splice into - once you know that it sounds like it's pretty easy.

Try this thread:

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=792

Or this one:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5502

Let me know if you do it. I'm still interested in my glove box idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Navigating menus

One more thing. I know navigating the menus from the front seat is a pain. But we've found that most videos will start by pressing the play button on the front dash controls.

It is marked ">DVD" under one of the radio buttons. This works with most dvds just to play them. If you want the special features you have to navigate and select menu options from the back.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
gksmith said:
My daughter is too young to operate a remote and my wife is tired of having to lean backwards to navigate my daughter's DVD menus.

Up to now I have re-menued some of the DVD's to do auto-play but this takes time. Yes, you can play your own DVDs if they are DVD-R. The process isn't hard, just time consuming and material for a different thread.

What I want to do know is add a lcd screen to the passenger sun visor. I have a couple of questions about this process. Does anyone make a lcd visor that has external brightness, contrast controls and keeps the vanity mirror and lights?

Second, where is the best place to tie into my factory RES system for the video? I've seen a couple of pictures that people have sent that show visor type LCD screens but no instructions for installing into a Pilot.
There are numerous screens out there with external brightness & contrast controls. I saw 1 on-line the other day that also keeps the mirror & light. I'll post the link once I go back to work and find it.

You can add a visor screen to the RES if you tie in an audio RCA plug into the Video 1 Output from the DVD player unit and route it to the screen. Wire A9 (Blue) is the Video 1 output & A22 (Pink) is the Video 1 ground. Wire A23 (Grey/Pink) is the Video 1 Shielding, but it is not need to add an additional screen. I would not recommend cutting these wires, though. I would unplug the 26-pin "A" Plug from the DVD Player Unit, strip the wiring back a little and splice in the RCA cable to these 2 wires.

If you would rather grab the video signal after it leaves the DVD Player & Head Unit, you would use the B4 wire (White/Green Video 2 Output) and the B12 wire (Black/White Video 2 Ground) instead.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts