Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Pilot
46,000 Miles

Our Honda Pilot shakes violently when braking. The issue started when we went camping about 1 1/2 yrs ago and was driving back. Going down hill at around 60 mph on the highway. I pressed the brakes to slow and thats when the Pilot shook violently. It felt as if the frame was going to split. Could barely hold onto the steering wheel. It took some time to completely stop and had to step off the brakes a few times to stop. It shook every time I stepped on the brake.

Ever since it has occurred another 6-7 time with the latest being last weekend on the freeway going 70mph on flat surface.

We have taken it to the Honda dealership multiple times and finally they have just given up and said the rotors need to be replaced. Even though the wear doesn't require it.

The issue started at around 37,000 miles. We do not drive alot as you can see.

The other issue that just started is the lights on the dash and a ping sound occurs randomly. It happens so quickly and randomly we don't know which lights they are.

Any help would be appreciated.

Side note: we have had all services at the local Honda dealerships. Have never had it serviced anywhere else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like the rotors are warped...
Double check the tires look for worn out or irregular pattern
Secondly the stabilizer links
And then check or control arms
To test the control arm jack the front up grab the tire 12 and 6 clock and try to shake it if move or any play stabilizer link (or turn the wheel grab the stabilizer link and try wiggling for play). The lower control grab the tire 9 and 3 shake for play and check the lower control arm rubber bushing for crack

Question does the steering wheel shake too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are having the Rotors resurfaced today and replacing pads since they have worn.

We installed new tires late last year because the factory ones wore out at 36k. I'm disappointed in that as well.

The shaking occurred on both sets of tires.

Thank you for the information. I will definitely mention those items to the dealership.

Correction: car has currently 42,319 miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Double check the tires look for worn out or irregular pattern
Secondly the stabilizer links
And then check or control arms
To test the control arm jack the front up grab the tire 12 and 6 clock and try to shake it if move or any play stabilizer link (or turn the wheel grab the stabilizer link and try wiggling for play). The lower control grab the tire 9 and 3 shake for play and check the lower control arm rubber bushing for crack

Question does the steering wheel shake too
Yes the steering wheel shakes violently.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We are having the Rotors resurfaced today and replacing pads since they have worn.

We installed new tires late last year because the factory ones wore out at 36k. I'm disappointed in that as well.

The shaking occurred on both sets of tires.

Thank you for the information. I will definitely mention those items to the dealership.

Correction: car has currently 42,319 miles on it.
Usually suv tires get change 1 once year because of the weight and the awd system
If u hanging brake pad get akebono brake pad at least u dont have change it once a year last longer and stops the truck very good...

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I would not pay for rotor resurfacing on a warped rotor. New is the only solution.

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I agree. The Rotors are not warped when we had it checked last time which was 2 months ago for our major service.

We are just adding the resurfacing since we need new pads.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Brake rotors don't warp; they wear unevenly. If you Google "rotors don't warp", you'll find plenty of discussion about this.

Usually suv tires get change 1 once year because of the weight and the awd system
That's one of the most patently false statements I've read in a long time.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Brake rotors don't warp; they wear unevenly. If you Google "rotors don't warp", you'll find plenty of discussion about this.

A play in words. Call it what you want. A rotor with un-even wear is a warped rotor in my book. Paying to resurface may buy some time. I'd opt for new.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Brake rotors warp more then you think. I have replaced many pairs rotors on cars that have warpped . Warping is caused by over heating shitty quality rotors. they also get hard spots. I have been working on cars and truck for many years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like warped rotors resurfacing will help you for the short haul but a good pair of North American made drilled rotors will solve that problem. Also original tire only last a few years at the most. I put Michelin defender LTX tires on my Pilot and the have almost 100,000 km on them and they are great in the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If u hanging brake pad get akebono brake pad at least u dont have change it once a year last longer and stops the truck very good...
I dont know who taught you that about tires and SUV's but tires on most SUV's. (good tires that is) should last you at least 3 years if not more. I have used Michelin tire for more then 20 years adn have never had to replace them before 4 years of use. and thats with towing campers adn trailers all over the place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I dont know who taught you that about tires and SUV's but tires on most SUV's. (good tires that is) should last you at least 3 years if not more. I have used Michelin tire for more then 20 years adn have never had to replace them before 4 years of use. and thats with towing campers adn trailers all over the place.
Had an bmw x5 3rd row and was changing yearly i asked the mechanic he says.. the extra weight of the 3rd row.. the awd drive ratio system and mostly winter snow and the salt takes a toll on it ...
The Honda pilot so far once so far.
Question are we allow to go with a thicker profile instead of 245 50 20 like 255 50 20?

I have notice front pads go faster than the rear is true that most of the stop power or load is in the front..

Would front drilled rotors be a good idea ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First if your changing tires every year you should be looking at better quality tires. And there should be warranty on them wearing out so fast. I went to higher priced EBC racing yellow stuff brakes. They are made in the UK but are very good brakes. I tow with my 2013 Pilot and its a daily driver. In the last 20 years I have only ever used Michelin tires. The Michelin Defender LTX have a 100000 km tread wear warranty on them and they are great in all weather. Also designed for mud and snow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You're saying this has only occurred 7 or 8 times in the past 18 months, right? That doesn't sound like warped rotors, which would consistently drive you insane. At the very least, you would be able to duplicate the "experience" from 70 mph (as you described) on a consistent basis.

The dealer should be checking suspension parts, or checking for a sticky brake caliper. Take a look at your brake rotors and take note if one is a different shade than the others from significant overheating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts