Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since Covid, I've been watching videos on vinyl wrapping and decided to try and tackle some of this to see how it goes.
I started with plasti dip on rims and front grill but wanted to give Vinyl a try.
Going to say that I probably will NOT continue to do this... the videos make it look so easy :p but it definitely is not.
Things that i thought would take me an hour, take 2-3x much longer.

Started off with headlight tint, which was SUPER easy, like... took me 90 mins and led me to believe I'm a pro and can do it easily.... so wrong
Yes, headlight is diminished in terms of the "extra light", the light is now focused. Fog lights are necessary. Oncoming drivers are probably super happy though.
Headlights done with Vivvid Smoke tint. Picture doesn't have the unibrow on cause i was deciding if I shoudl black it out or not.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Bumper

I then did my interior using Teckwrap CF, had alot of bubbles, but it could be user install error and I wasn't stretching enough. I did this first. took me about 4 hours.... I think i'm going to rip it off and try again, i have some bubbles that are really bothering me. paid $10 for 1ft x 5ft Had enough extra to put on the gas tank cover... that took me 10 mins... so yay???
I used an exacto knife here, but the blade was really thick and made it harder to make clean cuts around and squeeze in the cracks.
Also noticing a slight orange peel effect in certain areas, some videos mention it could be the result of glue lines...

Did my roof rail and that chrome piece on the side step. The chrome was flaking, peeling and had some rust on it, just not looking clean with NY salt. This took me SoooOo much longer than i expected. 90 mins for that top piece. Also, so much easier to wrap with it on the car than off the car, cause stretching it while it was off the car was really difficult for the long piece.
I bought and tried eBay brand Matte red vinyl here, it was way thinner than the teckwrap CF and easier to cut, it actually ripped when i stretched it over a corner. But came out better than i expected. Time will tell on fading. Paid $27 for 7ft by 5 ft.

May try to vinyl the H symbol on the back.

Reactions: awd.nv

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks good overall and I am sure there is a learning curve to this. How were you able to remove the chrome pieces from the front grille? Specifically the one that goes into the area of the headlights.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good overall and I am sure there is a learning curve to this. How were you able to remove the chrome pieces from the front grille? Specifically the one that goes into the area of the headlights.
It pops off, there are a few screws at the top where the hood opens. But the others are pressure clipped in, i had to use a plastic pry tool to get it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts