Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vinyl third row in EX-L

Just reading the Honda press room site, found this passage:

EX models with optional leather interior (EX-L) feature leather trimmed first- and second-row seats, door panels and a matching vinyl third-row seat to minimize the scuffing and damage typically associated with a child-oriented third seat.
Can't say I've noticed that the third row is vinyl, cause its folded down most of the time.

Is it? If so, claiming its to reduce scratches is a load of bull. Its to reduce costs.

I'm going to take a closer look at that third row.

here's the link for the Honda site:
http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/honda/pilot/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***002701***-wieck_media***-***honda(directory)pilot(directory)***.ws4d?honda/pilot/results(r)_text.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
This was something that most people knew before they even took delivery. I know, it stinks. Honda wants to save money...

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW, the MDX is the same way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
3rd row seat

I knew prior to deposit, so I really have no grounds for complaint.
I think all leather should have been provided.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Same here. Knew about it before pilots came out.

But had to have been to cut costs. Can't imagine any other reason.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in the dark on this one. . .dealer never mentioned it. Never saw it indicated in brochures or any literature.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I knew about it with the MDX. At the time I learned about it from a website, I remember thinking that this was a cheap thing to do. However, when I actually went to go see an X, I never noticed the difference between the vinyl and the leather.

I'm not sure if I was ever conscious of the vinyl 3d row in the Pilot, but if so, I forgot about it and have never noticed it.

I think it's one of those things that sounds worse than it really is.

Also, as thin as the Pilot and MDX leather is, I do not doubt that vinyl might be stronger. I saw a used MDX a few months back with a deep 6 inch long scratch in the driver's seat. :(

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was something that most people knew before they even took delivery. I know, it stinks. Honda wants to save money...
Just found a very slick mention in the brochure about having leather in the first and second rows. Doesn't mention that third row. . .

The way it's mentioned and the decision not to put leather back there is really cheesy. It wouldn't have changed my decision on the model, but nonetheless, poor form by Honda.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Given that my 3rd row will be down with a cargo tray over it for 95% of the time, it's not a big deal. I must admit that I didn't pick up on it from any of the sales materials, nor did I pick up on it when I sat in them to try them out. I was choosing between the Highlander and Pilot and have to say that the 3rd row wasn't anywhere near being high on my list of advantages for the Pilot.

Chris

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you read the "details", the leather seats are leather ONLY in seating areas - this is the same on most all non-luxury vehicles sold in the USA. Sides and other parts of the seats are also vinyl! I told my saleman about the third seat being vinyl - he did not know! As mentioned above, the MDX is the same way and the party line relates to the vinyl being there because of the fact that it's folded down a lot. Oh well...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can feel for the salesman that didn't know. I too did not know until reading this thread a week or two back. Funny it was never brought up at Honda's "Ride and Drive" for the Pilot........hmmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts