Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Rear Entertainment System has RCA inputs for Video/Audio. However, I would like to set up some output jacks so I can connect with an RCA cable a small LCD screen that the front seat passenger can hold in their lap to be able to view the movie being played. You can get small screens for $50 - $100 such as one for the small PlayStation1.

Any thoughts on whether that could work? I would imagine the DVD is sending the video signal from the dash up to the screen on the ceiling. I thought under the dash might be the most probable place to splice in. Probably no signal where the input jacks are.

Do you think there is a wiring diagram for the DVD/RES?

There are other possiblities with a screen in the front seat such as an aftermarket rear view camera.

·
Registered
919 Posts
In the aftermarket, some units have one video out and some have two or more. The systems with multiple video outs typically cost a bit more. Given this information, I would assume that the Honda would have chosen a single video out system to keep costs down and because their system only needs one. If it is a single out, I'm not sure what type of results you would get with a simple passive splitter, or if they even have a standard RCA out going to the existing display. It could be a molded closed connection. I would expect that I'll be in the dash sooner or later as I'll probably be wanting to add a TV tuner to the system. Not sure when I'll get to it.

Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK, it might not be legal but I think if it is possible I'll be doing it. Due to the simplicity of the RES control (NOT!), I would like to have another screen in front so I know if I have setup and played the DVD movie correctly. It's a little difficult trying to figure out what's wrong when you are driving and can not see the screen display.

Any thoughts or info. on the RES or Alphine DVD player to install an extra screen?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
How about ....

http://www.mp3carplayer.net/lcd/screentv.htm

Our 6" LCD TV TFT MONITOR ADVANCED VERSION WITH BUILT IN TV TUNNER offers everything you could want to make any visual experience possible.
Not only can you now connect your video game console, VCR, DVD or VCD player, but also with our new monitor you will be able to watch and listen to TV channels of your choice!. Our TV LCD Monitor does the same things as any regular TV, but the added bonus is that ours is portable!

*Check our Combo- Promotions*

1 Portable DVD/Mp3/VCD Player + 6" TFT Screen for only $299.99 USD. Click here for more info

1 InDash Car DVD/Mp3 player + 6 TFT screen for only $429.99 Click here for more info

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
AgPilotOwner,
I agree, it looks like a lot of work but I like the results. I only need the video and no audio since there are headset jacks reachable from the driver and passenger seats........if it was only as easy as getting a Y-Slipper RCA cable and without the $300 plus price tag...... life will be good.

:3: :confused: :eek:

Prg, product looks good except for the stand, it looks a little top heavy. I paid the same amount for my TV/VCR combo a few year back. It's dead now, I use to have it in our van.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AgPilotOwner,

That link is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks. I think I would just wire it to the glove box with connections and have the passenger hold the screen in their lap. However, My wife doesn't like the idea of opening the dash board on a 2 week old car. I think I'll sit on this one for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts