Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly integrating video-nav.com's solution into my Pilot. This device allows you to use the GEX-P7000TV hideaway TV tuner on the Nav display. If anyone's interested I'd be happy to post more details. I took a picture after I hooked up a non-portable DVD player. I'm still deciding on the final DVD player.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I definitely want information!!! My DVD player is mounted in the glove compartment and is controlled via a handheld remote. The only problem is that to control the video we have to lean back in the seat to see the video screen.

If I could run the video signal to the Navi screen my problem would be solved!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the equipment I purchased so far:

1. GEX P7000TV - about $250 if you look around. It's capable of supporting both a front and rear display independently (I plan to add both eventually).
2. PBA-N1 - about $300
3. extra Pioneer RGB Cable - about $35 if you look around
4. connectors to avoid cutting any wires in Pilot - about $15
5. new breaker - $5
6. first Pilot smoke test - priceless

My goal is zero permanent modifications to my Pilot. The GEX and PBA-N1 fits under the driver's seat (it's a tight fit if they are stacked on top of each other). Right now I'm using some velcro but I'm thinking of moving the PBA-N1 in front of the Nav unit (connector side). I had to fabricate my own connectors to connect the PBA-N1 to the Pilot nav. I can provide the part numbers for this and schematics if needed by anyone.

I ran a separate B+ wire from the passenger breaker box. I found a special device that turns an existing breaker into two separate breakers. It was no problem running the wire under the side trim and under the passenger seat.

I created a new ground wire by attaching a nut and screw to a piece of the metal supporting the car-seat. I scratched some of the primer off to make good contact and verified the connection.

The Acc wire is a bit more challenging. I'm currently using the Aux power outlet but this is temporary. I see several options for this. Either pull apart the console to get to the Acc wires, tap into the Acc going to the Nav (very easy but very visible), or access it behind the stereo. I'm planning on installing a Blitzsafe adapter to get a direct audo connection and can easily get to the Acc during this surgery.

I did a bit of research and I'm confident that an in-dash DVD player could be installed under the ashtray with a custom face plate. I really like this except for the price and the lack of portability. Many of the DVD players can be used outside the car which would give me more milage. I saw that Frys has a DVD player plus flat panel display for $200. I'll have to check it out.

The only other item to consider is the TV antenna for the GEX.

Anyway, that's what I've done so far. I'll post some pictures and continue to post updates. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a picture of the equipment.

The two wires that look like a backward and forward "C" are the wires that go between the Pilot Nav and the PBA-N1. The wire just below them is a bypass that allows you to bypass the PBA/GEX if you pull the equipment out but want to keep the wires mentioned in my first sentence installed. The small box is the PBA-N1 and the larger box on right is the GEX. There's also a IR sensor that's included with the PBA and allows the remote for the GEX to operate.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
PBA-N1?

Ok. I have done many searches; both here and on the net in general. What is this PBA-N1? Who did you get it from? What does it exactly do?

Would this setup work with a backup camera installed?

Will you be running two remotes? (One for the GEX and the other for the DVD player)

I am looking to do exactly what you have set out to accomplish. for my choice of portable DVD players. I know it is expensive, but the Toshiba SD-P2000 is awesome! Could just about replace the home unit.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks,
Chris R
:1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The PBA-N1 is available from video-nav.com. The guy who started the company came up with this solution for his Lexus.

The remote for the GEX lets you switch between Nav, Video1, Video2, and TV. There are outputs for the front monitor (Nav display) and a rear display that can run independently.

I'll probably end up with a separate remote for the DVD. It may be possible to integrate a Pioneer DVD so that it uses the same remote but I'm really not sure it can be done. I verified that a standard DIN fits under the ashtray. At one point I was going to have a company called CarToys put a Pioneer DVD at that location and cut a custom face plate. Its a bit too pricey.

I haven't made much head way due to cold weather and a broken rear projection TV I'm trying to fix (it will probably end up as spare parts for the car video project after I get done with it).

If you go this direction, drop a note here and I'll lookup the part numbers for the connectors/pins I used (and wiring).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I haven't responded, I was on another project. I actually fixed my Rear project TV just in time for basketball. I took the tv apart, spent countless hours looking for a bad part, didn't find anything, put it together and now it works! Its been working for a week so far so I guess it was just a loose connector.

The Pilot Nav ECU is located on the passenger side under the seat. I also placed the PBA and GEX under the passenger seat. It's a pretty tight fit. The GEX could also be placed on the drivers side if you route the GEX wire bundles (two of them) to the drivers side and you would need to provide the various power related wires to the GEX on that side too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts