Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 Honda Pilot Honda Link Motion Lockout Bypass

Anyone with experience with this company or their devices? I'm interested in picking one up but would like to hear some feedback. Sometimes I get lazy to turn off the driver distraction setting every single time so something like this would make it convenient. Most similar units I seen for other cars run double or even triple this price. Also I'm curious how this device works.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My Pilot works like that without this device. I could enter address while driving, not me try to enter, but my passenger can do it while I am driving. This happened after the radio/nav firmware update back in January 2016, I believe. It was not possible before.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My Pilot works like that without this device. I could enter address while driving, not me try to enter, but my passenger can do it while I am driving. This happened after the radio/nav firmware update back in January 2016, I believe. It was not possible before.
Canadian models are different in this respect from what I understand.. which is weird

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked out some reviews on Amazon and it seems legit. Ordered one this morning and will be testing it out on the 2016 Civic first then putting on the Pilot.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just received the unit from ups today. Here's the content. Box, wire harness, module, and instructions. Currently trying to find out the Honda Pilot's wiring harness diagram to determine what the wires are connected to. If anyone has the info please let me know.

Website and instructions are for the unit that didn't have the oem plugs but actual unit did. The module has 8 wires. 2 blues, 2 yellow, red, and black wire. Red and black I am assuming power and ground. instructions is for the unit with just the 8 pin wires without the oem plugs. It is to splice in by one blue connected from the car and the other is to the head unit. The yellow is the same, one to the car and other to the head unit.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Here is a link to the instructions they sent me, but I have not ordered the unit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0y5d3z1zi6c4nrl/HONDA PILOT 2016.pdf?dl=0

It looks like you would find the 20pin connector behind radio (with Brown, White, Blue, and Yellow wires). instead of cutting them, disconnect from radio and plug into OEM plug on their bypass unit, then plug the other end into the back of radio. Basically install "in line" with the existing 20pin connector.

Then locate the 24 pin connector with Black/Silver (-12v) and Purple/Silver (+12v) to splice in the black (-12v) and red (+12v) wire from bypass unit.

Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PITA if u wanna tear yr dash apart to put it hopefully where it goes.
Honda made most of their interior panels clip on. Took out the pilot head unit in 15 minutes. The accord head unit can be removed in 5 minutes. The easiest by far is the 2016 Civic which I took out in less than 1 minute.

Everything works while the car is moving. The pilot is pretty much plug and play. Just had to connect power and ground. The acc 12v and ground is on a different harness. I don't have the RES so I just use my iphone as a hotspot and have the kids watch online videos. I also hooked it up to my 2016 civic and it works as well. Split two wires and connected the power and ground. I may just keep it in my civic for now since it has a lot more useful features.

Price is a little high but this is the cheapest motion bypass I seen. The very few places I seen that sells them charge over $300. Honda been using the same motion lockout for the past couple years and no one has cracked it other than going through the developer menu but nothing saves after a restart. With the 2016 Civic theres no distraction driving setting and Honda blocks the android developer menu with a passcode. Honda will probably use this same method for their cars here on out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll probably do a video when I do a swap for the 2017 head unit. With the ridgeline having CarPlay and android auto I suspect the 2017 pilot will as well since it's the same Headunit. Honda has a poor history with updating software so 2016 pilots will be out of luck. 2017 pilots should be releasing at the end of June.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll probably do a video when I do a swap for the 2017 head unit.
So, if your plan is to swap the head unit out of the 2017 Ridgeline and put in your 2016 Pilot, yes please document the whole ride. I'd like to know the prices you pay, the dash pull-apart and any instal problems. I wonder if the programming and maintenance information will be correct. Or if you will get Honda notifications for the Ridgeline... Either way this goes, it should be a great ride!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 2017 ridgeline was already shown and confirm to have CarPlay android auto. The Pilot and ridgeline are built very similar. Theyre also built at the same production plant. There's no confirmation yet on the pilot but my guess is that it will.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts