Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pilot has 215,000ish and, as can be heard in this video, has developed an incessant tapping that increases with RPMs. Anybody got a clue?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
One thing to check is to pull your spark plugs, inspect them, and retorque to spec, whether you have to replace them or not. They can sometimes back out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing to check is to pull your spark plugs, inspect them, and retorque to spec, whether you have to replace them or not. They can sometimes back out.

Thanks man, I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The Pilot has 215,000ish and, as can be heard in this video, has developed an incessant tapping that increases with RPMs. Anybody got a clue?

Have you ever adjusted the valve clearances? Should be done about every 100k or so. Exhaust clearances tend to get tighter (quieter, but danger of burning the valves) and the intakes tend to get a bit looser (noisy, but no real harm done).

Another approach: temporarily remove the serpentine belt and listen to the engine run. If it's quiet, then the problem is either tensioner pulley, alternator, PS pump, or AC compressor. No change confirms the noise is from the engine itself, not an accessory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So, you're the man. Sure enough the last igniter coil I pull is tough to retrieve, and the whole thing is corroded. It left behind the lower boot which was hell to remove, but once I did and put everything back together the tapping has gone away. Thank you friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts