Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I picked up a 2003 Pilot last week, and just found HondaPilot.org.

Terrific info here.... I wish I would have found this site before I bought....

Anyway, I have the vibration problem that several others have. I have read the threads and am wondering if anyone has the details of TSB010603 (below):

Make : HONDAModel : PILOTYear : 2003
Service Bulletin Num : 010603Date of Bulletin: JAN 06, 2003
Component: STEERING
Summary:
EVALUATION OF STEERING VIBRATION. *TT

I will be bringing in the Pilot next week to the dealership, and would like to have as much info on hand as possible.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ernst

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE

Update:

Went to the dealership last night. I went into the shop with the Pilot. The staff was friendly and helpful. They balanced all four tires (no Hunter 9700). All were off balance. Also, two of the four tires were not running true. The technician informed me that this was normal, it happens with large tires like this. The other two tires were fine....

The two "problem" tires were mounted in the rear (they were up front). I am wondering what will happen at the next tire rotation?

Anyway, my wife needed the Pilot today, so I have not been able to determine if I still have the vibration. I will take it on the highway this weekend to find out.

Ernst

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine was fixed.

The dealer tried three times to balance the tires; but it never quite solved the problem. I told them about the Hunter 9700 balancer and they took it to a local tire dealer that had one. My left front indicated it wasn't balanced right when pressure was applied to it. They balanced it and the vibration went away. Apparently, you need to use something like the Hunter 9700 that approximates the same pressure on the tire that the road does to truly find the problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, went for a drive on freshly paved (and very smooth) highway...

6 passengers...

The steering wheel was quiet. I noticed a slight vibration in the seat and arm-rests. A significant improvement from before the balancing.

However, the passengers in the middle and rear seats noticed a definite vibration through their seats!!!

The two out of round tires were in the front, and are now in the rear.

Does anyone have any details on this TSB??

Still looking!

Ernst
:confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
man i really think the dealer should replace those 2 bad tires, infact i think u need to demand it. That happened to me old CRV, they just put it on the back and the result was no more tire rotation allowed and inproper tread wear for the rest of the tires life. u need to get a new set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

This week:

Went to a Goodyear retailer who has a Hunter 9700. Three tires are out of spec. Three new Integritys ordered.

New tires installed yesterday. Two were "good".... passed without requiring Hunter 9700 Pro Matching. Third tire passed with Pro Matching.

The fouth, original tire was re-balanced, and now required Pro Matching as well! It looks like an egg while rotating on the balancer... however it did pass!?!

Will be heading out tomorrow to do a test drive on the highway.

Ernst

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

The Saga Continues...

After the three new tires were installed, there was a marked improvement. However, that following weekend we went on a 500km road trip, and when we got back home on Sunday, the vibration was worse than it ever was.

Made another trip the the Goodyear retailer and had them put all four tires on the Hunter 97000. One of the replaced tires failed the road force and another came up as marginal! Retailer replaced both tires with new Integritys.

The Hunter 9700 data sheet also noted that one of the rims had a run-out of 0.013". I believe this is the max run-out allowed. I will verify this with Honda (not expecting much help there).

The Pilot is now "almost" vibration free... I just don't know for how long!!!

From the data off the Hunter 9700, it would seem that the road force variation must be below 12 lbs per tire, or vibration will be felt in the cabin.

Ernst

1 - 8 of 8 Posts