Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys 2008 pilot AWD. started shaking from the back to the steering wheel. Replaced all 4 CV and it’s still there. (Whole other story. Someone mentioned change diff fluid but I just did that not 3k ago. So I started poking at the drive shaft and if I grab it and pull back and forth there is some wiggle. I can’t seem to load a video here but let’s say it moves 1/8th inch in all directions when pushed / pulled.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Check that the rear sub-frame is secure against the unibody cross member. Some owners in the rust belt have severe corrosion with the unibody cross members. Hopefully it's not the propeller shaft assembly.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,305 Posts
^^^What he said, and to post a video here, upload it to YouTube and just paste its URL in the text box here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check that the rear sub-frame is secure against the unibody cross member. Some owners in the rust belt have severe corrosion with the unibody cross members. Hopefully it's not the propeller shaft assembly.
I was just under there replacing shocks and adding that lift kit. There is some rust but nothing staggering. I can double check it to make sure but looks solid. The shaft isn’t too bad on Rock auto 250-400 or so. I know some dislike them but idk if can pay X for Honda at the moment. Anyway I uploaded the video to you tube if you get a min the movement doesn’t seem right to me.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I'll check my propellor shaft assembly tomorrow after work for any unusual movement. Honda parts guy did mention it could be a source for steering vibrations after CV axles and other front end components are ruled out. I didn't notice nor look for any movement when I lowered the propeller shaft assembly when installing my sub-frame kit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks much appreciated. I’ll prob go up to Honda as well and ask the guys just to be sure. But always looking to double check a dealer.

worst case I have a 20year Honda master mechanic about 30mins from here that runs his own shop.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Went under the Pilot today and grabbed hold of the propellor shaft and there was very, very little forward and backward movement compared to the movement as seen on your u-tube video. There was no rotational movement of the propeller shaft with hand strength.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
IIRC, drive shafts should have NO wiggle at the universal joints.
As it get worse, the vibrations get worse.

On a RWD vehicle, if you just pushed in the clutch, or popped it in neutral for all you Auto tranny types, the vibrations gets way better/gone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a job for RockAuto.... because I can’t afford the dealer! Thanks so much for checking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts