Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms: Build up of vibration when applying the brakes. The vibration gets stronger the longer or aggressive the brake application.

Solution: New brake pads, possibly different brand brake pads, sanding (turning) down the rotor to get pad residue/glaze off the rotor.

Why: Due to whatever reason the friction coupling has become sensitive to brake judder. Most likely due to brake pad material on the rotor or brake pad surface changes. The brake pad is in general “softer” and more sensitive to temperature likely being the main culprit.

Explanation: The brake pad is a combination of organic material. That means its features change with time, temperature, environment, use/application, and rotor/pad combination wear. That makes it hard to pin point to a specific event that causes this phenomenon.

Background: Vibration issues are system issues. That means some components are causing the symptoms while others enable it. In this case the friction couple (rotor/pad) create vibration but cannot be suppressed by an otherwise rigid caliper, axle, wheel end system.

Summary/disclaimer: There are many symptoms with many different causes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates on this? I am having the same problems. My friend told me my right rotor is warped from his experience. Vibrations when I apply brakes above 38mph.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the rotor was warped you would likely have the symptoms independent from speed. Maybe different strengths, but still there. (Everything is possible, just applying “simple” logic here).
New brake pads, different brand will likely help. If your friend says it is on the right front(?) side only that is concerning. That means the right side does something different than the left side. In that case an expert has to check out the caliper/brake system and overall wheel end for causes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, when I step on the brakes they are getting that spongy feeling now. I believe I am due to change the brakes. I will also be changing the rotors. I am not sure what brand to get. Thanks for the reply, Have you solved your brake issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spongy is a new symptom that can have many causes. Most likely brake pad related. Other causes are pad material on rotor causing heavy grooves, air in the brake line, or even a pad that is completely worn. All of them pretty severe. Definitely support going to see the shop.
For myself: I just bought a used 2011 Pilot. I have not driven enough to experience any issues yet. Was surprised to read about the brake issues. I have experience with brakes so I wanted to offer help to my Pilot fellows.
Going to the shop sounds like a great idea. It would be great if you could share what the root cause was ultimately.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Brake vibration can be a result of not doing the new pad bedding properly. Instead of depositing an even layer of pad material on the rotor, it is possible to end up with a thicker buildup in one spot. This can get worse with time as pad will wear more over the thicker area. Proper bedding involves a series of accelerations followed by very aggressive braking to get the brakes real hot, but never allowing the car to come to full stop (accelerate to like 50mph, brake hard to 10mph, repeat 10-15 times), best done on a deserted road/at night.

On my 2013 Pilot, I have installed a Power Stop Z23 K6084 kit, drilled/slotted rotors with carbon-fiber ceramic pads. Quite happy with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts