Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Nav
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some suggestions on identifying vibration/shaking from the rear of the Pilot > 65Mph. I recently bought my 2017 Pilot EX-L AWD with 45K miles on it. I do recall a slight shake I felt at the steering during the test drive, but it was very minimal at the time to pay too much attention. But during our cross country trip to California and back with a lot of > 75MPH stretches, the vibrations/shake is very comfortable in the rear seat area for sure.

Some things to consider :
There is a slight vibration felt at the steering wheel only, but the front seats / dashboard area shake/vibration is not noticeable.
The shake is strong enough to rattle coins/bottle kept on the rear door pockets - but not strong enough to knock them over - if that makes sense.
It does not get too bad that I cannot hit 90Mphs either , just annoying over lots of miles.
The tires (Continental terraincontact h/t) have 10/32 treads on them - so fairly newer ones.

Planning to rotate the tires to see it is related to balancing/wheels this week. Anything else I need to/can check before I go to the dealership?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I'm kinds of deliberate when trying to figure out problems like this. Do one thing and retest is my approach. That way you more easily know what the problem was or wasn't. Verify tire pressures are correct. Verify the wheels are correctly torqued. Next, rebalance. Then rotate the tires. Any car accident in the car's past? It is rare but not unknown for tires to be defective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No accidents reported on carfax, no visual signs of any damages/repairs on the body/under body when I checked it during trailer hitch install.
Wheels torqued good - I checked during wheel lock install.
No brake sqeals/shudders under braking even from high speeds
Drives pretty straight on the freeway, no drifting noticed.
Avg'd about 23-24 MPG through the 5K miles round trip (a lot of speeds > 75Mph ).with SVCM installed. At speeds around 65Mph, avg MPG closer to 25-26MPG - so there seems to be no issues with engine/transmission.

This leaves me with rear tire/suspension/drivetrain components as the shake is more noticeable in the rear at high speeds?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, turns out that the vibrations could have been caused by the most obvious issues - wheel balance. I was about to rotate the tires myself - and after giving it careful thought - took it to costco for rotation + balancing + nitrogen fill - all for $27. Glad I did . Did not feel any vibration on the way back home at the same speeds as before. I see some new wheel weights all around - maybe that was it all along.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
You got balancing, rotation, and N2 fill all for $27 total? Wow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got balancing, rotation, and N2 fill all for $27 total? Wow
Yep, gotta love Costco membership. The car was all ready by the time I leisurely shopped all the isles of costco - much more than what I could do myself at home. If only they could do the same for my motorcycle as well :sneaky:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts