Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I own a 2008 Honda Pilot 4WD with 176000 km on it.
The issue is vibration at the arm rest, driver sear, and steering wheel. The vibration is unnoticeable up to 60 km/hr, then it gets very noticeable 65 km/hr to 90 km/hr, then it weakens (same as 0 - 60 km/hr).
Solutions I tried:
1- Changed all four brakes (rotors and ceramic pads)
2- Two new transmission supports
3- Both front struts (new struts, mounts with bearings)
4- New sway bar links (both sides)
5- Two rear trailing arms (new)
6- Like new summer tires (rotated and balanced)
7- New drive shaft
Vibration still exists
I recently decided to remove the drive shaft and test drove it. Vibration is gone.
I am really clueless now; what could cause the vibration when the drive shaft is installed ? It is a new drive shaft !! However, the old drive shaft's front part was very bad, completely out of balance (do you think it caused some damage to other parts?); the old drive shaft's rear part was good !!.
Also, my mechanic confirmed that engine mounts are all good.
Anyone has any idea ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Since no one has chimed in yet, I'll throw the first salvo, to mix metaphors. :)

Maybe start by checking how the drive shaft is connecting to or touching anything else.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
Have you changed out the transfer case fluid? I’m just throwing this out there since it wasn’t on your list.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Yes, and both front transfer case and rear VTM-4.

Gonna tack on this fluid list so it too is easier to find :)

You can toe the company line on every fluid with the attached PDF if you're the never-color-outside-the-lines type, or go with what many here prefer...

• Rear differential: VTM-4
  • Front transfer case (post 2005): SAE 90 or SAE 80W-90 viscosity hypoid gear oil, API service classified GL4 or GL5
  • Power steering fluid: a trip to the dealer
  • Brake fluid. DOT 3 or DOT 4 (usually)
  • Antifreeze/coolant: blue (or green) concentrate (or pre-mixed)

• Motor oil: Mobil 1
    or Shell Rotella or Kirkland Full Synthetic (or Motomaster Full Synthetic in View attachment 147337 )
  • Windshield washer fluid: -45°
  • Transmission: full synthetic Maxlife ATF

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since no one has chimed in yet, I'll throw the first salvo, to mix metaphors. :)

Maybe start by checking how the drive shaft is connecting to or touching anything else.
Thanks for the reply
Th drive shaft is mounted very well..not touching any other parts !!
My mechanic suggested we mount the drive shaft 180 degrees and check for vibration...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you changed out the transfer case fluid? I’m just throwing this out there since it wasn’t on your list.
I didn't change drive train fluids !! Only engine oil..
Do you think this can cause vibration only when the drive shaft is mounted !?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts

Yes, and both front transfer case and rear VTM-4.
I recently decided to remove the drive shaft and test drove it. Vibration is gone.
OK, these suggestions were jokes, right?

OP- is that a typo, or when you in fact removed the driveshaft, the vibration is in fact gone?

And you tried all that other stuff $$ first?

Hello?

It's an out of balance drive shaft- usally caused by one or more universal joints going bad.
IIRC- they are NOT serviceable on Hondas- Pilots anyways.

Get a new of new/used shaft.

There- problem solved.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
I think you may have missed item 7 on the original list. The OP already replaced the drive shaft with a new one. I suggested transfer case fluid since that’s easy enough to do and would be a delta between front and AWD modes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, these suggestions were jokes, right?

OP- is that a typo, or when you in fact removed the driveshaft, the vibration is in fact gone?

And you tried all that other stuff $$ first?

Hello?

It's an out of balance drive shaft- usally caused by one or more universal joints going bad.
IIRC- they are NOT serviceable on Hondas- Pilots anyways.

Get a new of new/used shaft.

There- problem solved.

You're welcome.
I bought and mounted a new drive shaft (unless the new one is already bad !! problem was not solved...still feel vibration. However, what drives me crazy is that vibration goes away when I remov the drive shaft (which makes it front wheel drive)...

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
I think you may have missed item 7 on the original list. The OP already replaced the drive shaft with a new one. I suggested transfer case fluid since that’s easy enough to do and would be a delta between front and AWD modes.
I bought and mounted a new drive shaft (unless the new one is already bad !! problem was not solved...still feel vibration. However, what drives me crazy is that vibration goes away when I remov the drive shaft (which makes it front wheel drive)...
Ah yes! Sorry, I missed that.

Odd for sure. Sorry, I have no other helpful advice then.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 11 of 11 Posts